• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's Bird Food

DeclanOH

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Declan
Hi everyone,

I have my conure on Harrison's High potency fine food, my local supplier has only super fine in stock. Having giving him fine for the past 3-4 weeks Is it okay to gave him super fine until they get the fine back in stock.

Many Thanks,

Declan

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sure if he will eat it. It's the same formula. I give my birds a variety of pellets, and some other foods. Fresh fruits and veggies daily .Is this all that you feed?

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Yup. My conures have tried all sizes. Some are fussy about size but no difference in actual ingredients etc.

DeclanOH

Real Name
Declan
Sure if he will eat it. It's the same formula. I give my birds a variety of pellets, and some other foods. Fresh fruits and veggies daily .Is this all that you feed?
Hi,

He likes grapes and apples. Rio is not really a veggie bird but we will nibble on bell peppers. But I am going to try him on more veggies over the next couple of weeks. He is only three months old.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sometimes hiding the veggies in birdy bread works. Or making a mash, like sweet potato/carrots. Put some on a plate and 'share it'. Eating can be a social thing. SS skewers are great too.Sometimes it's all just in the presentation. The pepper is good...mine won't touch them. That is something you can work with. Chopping everything up small does give some benefit as they rummage around for what they do like. Just don't give up. Keep trying...they can suddenly surprise you. Grapes are pretty sugary and should be kept at a minimum.

DeclanOH

Real Name
Declan
Sometimes hiding the veggies in birdy bread works. Or making a mash, like sweet potato/carrots. Put some on a plate and 'share it'. Eating can be a social thing. SS skewers are great too.Sometimes it's all just in the presentation. The pepper is good...mine won't touch them. That is something you can work with. Chopping everything up small does give some benefit as they rummage around for what they do like. Just don't give up. Keep trying...they can suddenly surprise you. Grapes are pretty sugary and should be kept at a minimum.
Thanks for the advice, I will keep grapes at a minimum :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Declan, I would switch your bird over to Harrisons Adult Lifetime if pellets make up the majority of his diet at this point of time. You will need to get him consuming veggies as well though. Try putting a whole leaf of Silverbeet (Swiss Chard) or Kale on the bottom of his cage to arouse his interest. Quite often it is simply a matter of how various foods are presented before they'll try them. I would also give some grated carrot, finely chopped celery, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Something else you can try is some organic mixed salad sprouts. Mix them with some chopped Snowpea sprouts. Once you've gotten him settled on his pellets, in a couple of months I'd begin working a little bit of seed back into his diet...maybe about a third of a teaspoon of a quality budgie mix per day should be enough. The other thing I like to give my birds once a week is a mix of cooked brown rice with about a gram of an Andean Grain Mix (tri-coloured quinoa & amaranth) added to it.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your bird's diet...and just like people, as they mature so does their palate. While they will be happy to accept some new foods as they grow older, they will also reject some foods later that they accept now. If you can get Rio to eat 40-50% pellets as part of his daily intake, this should give you a solid and safe starting point. Remember to work with your Avian Vet and have Rio tested to ensure his nutrient levels are appropriate so that they can be adjusted up or down accordingly.

You're doing really well so far by getting Rio onto a quality pellet. Keep going!!!

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
I think the super fine is what my fids eat. The larger ones are too big for them and they get intimidated :wacky:

EDIT: my fids eat the fine, not super fine. Sorry :shy:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sunshine Senegal will not eat any Harrisons unless the pellets are the the large coarse ones. She does create some waste with the coarse size, but she refuses to eat the fine at all. In a way, it does not turn out to be waste, because the smaller birds then eat the pieces she leaves behind. She is adamant about eating only the coarse size.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
My CBC eats Harrison high potency, he is 9 months old. Took trial and error he didn't like the small sizes , he like the adult coarse size but I have to break them in half (or at least break in a couple pieces) then he will eat them. He likes to dunk them in his water dish first. My avian vet said that was okay as long as he was eating them. He is just starting to like a variety of vegetables, still doesn't care for much fruit. He has always like shredded carrots. As he has gotten older seems a little more willing to try new stuff; just keep offering it. :roflmao: Some days he will eat all of his pellets, other days he just eats a small amount.

DeclanOH

Real Name
Declan
Hi,

I would like to ask you a quick question if I may please. I would like to know how long should I keep Rio on the High Potency pellets. I read you don't keep them on it that long. On the Harrison's Website they recommended six months. Some people says change him after the next bag is used up as I do not intend to use Rio for breeding(i don't know if Rio is male or female) and switch him onto adult pellets what would you recommend. At the end of the day he is only 3 months old.

Many Thanks,

Declan

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with Gerard. You can switch him to the adult.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hi,

I would like to ask you a quick question if I may please. I would like to know how long should I keep Rio on the High Potency pellets. I read you don't keep them on it that long. On the Harrison's Website they recommended six months. Some people says change him after the next bag is used up as I do not intend to use Rio for breeding(i don't know if Rio is male or female) and switch him onto adult pellets what would you recommend. At the end of the day he is only 3 months old.

Many Thanks,

Declan
Why dont you consult your avian vet.

You have a lot of opportunity given your bird is young to introduce a variety of fresh veggies