• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harper Troubles ):

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I have had my cat Harper since she was only a week or two old..... I raised her from a baby, and she is two now. My sister is very allergic to her. She sneezes and her eyes burn when she is near her. It used to be fine in our old house, we had a large master bathroom that she lived in and my sister never had to be near her. Now that we have moved to a new house, there is really no where to keep her away from my sister. The bathrooms are both small, and my sister goes in both of them. I'd bring her in my room, but I can't because of my birds. Lately, and I hate to say this, poor Harper has had to stay in a cage. But even in the cage, her hair still gets in the air and torments my sister.

I don't really know what to do. It is unfair for both my sister and Harper. I don't want to have to find her a new home, but I'm afraid that is the only option. I wouldn't even know how to begin to find a home for her, because I would be so picky of where she went. I don't know anyone who could take her. I won't just give her to anyone, because I love her too much.

:sad1:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have terrible allergies (both respiratory and contact/skin) and live in a house with half a dozen furry animals, and I can attest that it can be absolutely miserable. Despite that, I would never think of giving up the animals and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. Some days are worse than others, but a daily dose of a strong allergy pill (Allegra and Nasacort work best for me, but Claratin, Zyrtec, Flonase, etc., are all viable options) definitely takes the edge off. Those, coupled with frequent bedding washes and dusting/vacuuming, can work wonders. If it's very severe for her a visit to an allergist/ENT might be worthwhile.

Allergies aren't something to be taken lightly, but neither is rehoming a pet. It's best to exhaust all options, including medication and possibly allergy shots, before taking drastic action.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I agree on trying every option before rehoming, such as medication and frequent cleaning. I'm very allergic to one of my cats, but as long as I clean often and groom her often; It's not that bad. I take Allegra when I'm having a bad day, but I'd take the struggles to keep her :) Air purifiers may help your sister as well. Is Harper long haired, or short haired? You may have to groom her more often if it's the former.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know that cats don't like baths but I've read before that bathing the cat can help. I hope things work out okay.