• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness

Hilary

Moving in
hello! I have an unsexed (we call him him) caique about a year old. I have been using the aviator harness on him (Indy) since he was 4 months and he HATES it being taken off and on. He doesn’t love it when it’s on but he tolerates it and loves going places. Especially the car! The problem is getting it off and on. You have to hold the harness and loosen it and tighten it and he bites SO hard during this process. Can anyone recommend a different type of harness that can clip together or something. I don’t want to clip his wings!! Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Treat bribery? :/

I tried to train my tiel to accept the harness but she hates it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do use a harness (aviator) and I do also remember reading somewhere on this site a thread about different types of harnesses. Some of the other ones mentioned were not as difficult/fiddly to put on the birds. I can not remember what the name of the harness I was interested in was though I am sorry......maybe you could try a search for some of the other threads that contain information about harnesses?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The one in that video looks good.

I understand what you mean about the loosening and tightening, I use a harness on Sydney and he will allow me to put it on.. but I´m still looking for a better harness that doesn´t require the constant adjusting to put on/take off.
I tried the same harness on Adelie, and he hated it, wriggled wriggled wriggled, so I´m not doing that to him anymore.

If your bird doesn´t like the harness, maybe try using a special bird rucksack/travel bag. It´s not nice to force the bird to do something they are uncomfortable or unhappy with.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Nobody uses harness?
Another type of harness which is what you are wanting is called a "feather tether" unsure of the sizes though, as only ever used for Grey's and B&G

Hilary

Moving in
Thanks for the help everyone. We are also having to travel with him at the end of the month on an airplane and he will go in the cabin. Would love to have a harness on him so he doesn’t have to be in the carrier for the entire day of travel. I know there are other types that clip I am just worried he can un clip it. Was wondering if anyone had success with their caique and another brand like this. Thanks

Hilary

Moving in
But I agree if he hates it I need to stop using it. I may have to do a feather clip that leaves him with a little flight. I don’t know?!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Looks like the video is putting it on backwards.