• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Training?

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
So I want to harness train my 1-year-old 'tiel Clover to wear an Aviator harness, but all the articles and videos I've seen about harness training usually says that your bird should allow you to touch their body, especially their wings. But how can I train her to let me touch her wings and body? Currently she only allows me to pet her head (and I don't want to pet anywhere else in case she thinks I'm her mate), but I want her to be okay with having me lift her wings to put the harness on. She is a rescue, and before I got her she wasn't that used to human contact. Can anyone who has successfully harness trained their bird reply? If so, that would incredibly helpful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Time and patience :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am just starting to work on harness training with my cockatoo. But I can get him to lift his wings up for me. I kind of make it a game and gently put my fingers under his wings and he lifts them up - usually before I even really touch him. Then I praise him. (He responds more to praise than to treats).