• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness training, the tightening up part...

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks!
What size do you have for him? It looks more roomy than the large I have for Perry.

Blackshapes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Benjamin
@Macawnutz Thanks for the videos! Hope that we can get Pom-Pom to accept hersfully one day. Patience i guess is the key. Patience, grapes and pears. LOL!
The reason I asked about your cat was this....
Panda and Pom-Pom.JPG
Tonkinese. Cousins with yours no doubt!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks!
What size do you have for him? It looks more roomy than the large I have for Perry.

That would be an Xlarge. All my macaws can wear an xlarge, even Maui when he was 800 grams.
If you have problems during tightening just stop and give him treats. Pull the slack forward and hold it in front of him like I tried to show. Practice with just his head in the "fake loop" of the leash and play around with the harness under his wing, over his back, and all jumbled in front of him. If he panics all you have on him is the fake loop that is easily removed. Give yourself all the room you can by letting out all of the adjuster slack but keep a small loop in the actual adjuster. It makes it easier to grab when you are ready. Pull the slack tight on one side of the adjuster and fit it to your bird than pull the leash side tight to finish. :)

@Macawnutz Thanks for the videos! Hope that we can get Pom-Pom to accept hersfully one day.
Tonkinese. Cousins with yours no doubt!!

Korbel and I "played" harness for almost two months before he wore it. It does take time with some birds. It's almost easier to teach a bird that is scared of the harness than angry about the harness. Korbel was not scared about wearing it, he just did not want to wear it. It helped a ton that he was only allowed outside in a cage unless he wore it.

My cats are not allowed near the birds but your cat is a cutie.

Blackshapes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Benjamin
...My cats are not allowed near the birds but your cat is a cutie.
Our little Tonk Pandora pulled a speaker down on her head when she was just 6 months old, and gave her self a nasty brain injury. She had so much surgery her kidneys nearly stopped, all her teeth have been pulled cause they rotted out... She cant see on the left side of her body (Not that her eyes don't work, just her visual processing) and she is very very slow. Even if she wanted to and could catch the bird and eat it, she wouldn't be able to chew it! :lol:
She quite likes the back scratches and preening, but even though she's a bit special, we always supervise their playtime!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Our little Tonk Pandora pulled a speaker down on her head when she was just 6 months old, and gave her self a nasty brain injury. She had so much surgery her kidneys nearly stopped, all her teeth have been pulled cause they rotted out... She cant see on the left side of her body (Not that her eyes don't work, just her visual processing) and she is very very slow. Even if she wanted to and could catch the bird and eat it, she wouldn't be able to chew it! :lol:
She quite likes the back scratches and preening, but even though she's a bit special, we always supervise their playtime!

Sounds like my old man siamese. He is 28 years old, half blind, no teeth, a bit loopy BUT... somedays he runs around the house like he is 2. :laugh: My cats fear the birds and run if they come near, most often they leave the room and hide under my bed. ;)