• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness training: day one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
After watching the terribly confusing DVD that came with Kiwi's harness, I got some wonderful advice on how to proceed. I bought a clicker and a big bag of Crasins, ready to click and treat as Kiwi proceeded. Well, I showed him the harness. Before I even had a chance to click and treat, he ran right up to it and did his crazy jackhammer move usually reserved for shoelaces. I guess he isn't scared of it.

So, I draped it over him. Once again, I clicked and presented the treat, but Kiwi was much too busy rolling around with his new harness friend to be bothered with a measly Crasin. I'm thinking he likes the thing.

Does this mean I can start trying to put it on him?

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
If he isn't scared of it and lets you drape it over him. I'd say you can go ahead and try to put it over his head :D

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Cool! I will start as soon as it gets nicer out, but I will still show it to him once a day or so. I read somewhere that you should put it on them and take them right outside. We are supposed to get a snowstorm tonight, so that kind of puts a kink in our progress :(

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
No you can go ahead and start trying to put it over his head just not all the way on....take it slow....by the time you actually get it all the way on the snow should(hopefully) be gone :D

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Kiwi really sounds like he loves his new outfit. :p I definitely think you should start getting him used to it being around him. Maybe play games with it. "Peek a boo" and other fun things to get him used to it.

The snow sucks. We got 3 inches on the Cape today. :mad:

~Ann~

Status
Not open for further replies.