• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harley flew into something and hurt himself

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I didn't see it happen, but I heard Harley take flight and hit something. When I picked him up he was holding his left wing slightly out. I notice a soft tissue lump forming above his wing towards his back. He's slowing fluffing out the feathers in that area and then relaxing them.
I'm not quite sure what to do. There's no bleeding and the swollen area is still soft to touch. Should I just watch it? I'm beside myself with anxiety atm. I had to put one of my dogs to sleep last week, so this is really stressing me out.

He's acting normally other than fluffing out/relaxing the feathers over that area. Any advice?

Thank you!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok how he doing now? Any signs of confusion, leaning to one side or the other, If you touch that area what is the response?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sorry about your dog, that definitely makes us worry even more :sadhug2: I would keep him in a smaller area for now while you keep an eye on him, so he doesn't take off and possibly further hurt himself.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's quiet. The contusion doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, but he's still fluffing his feathers periodically over that area so I think it's bothering him.
He rarely takes off spontaneously like that and crashing. Perhaps twice since we've moved into this home. My guess is that he made impact with the corner of the computer hutch.
I think he'll be okay, but you just never know with birds how badly they've been injured or sick they are. My son wanted me to take him in to the vet, but the swelling isn't increasing, nor is he having any mobility issues. I'll watch and pray he'll be okay.

Last edited:

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Do you have any pictures of the swelling?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I'm a worry wart by nature, so would get it checked out. The best option would be to have an avian vet diagnose it and give pain meds if need be.
Sorry to hear you lost your dog recently. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss. Secondly, how is Harley doing now? Sometimes they just go into "shock" almost, and then snap out of it for lack of better turn a phrase. It is different, but after Michael fell and hurt himself, my veterinarian suggested that I keep him from flying for a while just in case there was any injury that was not visible that would not allow him to fly properly and lead to him crashing and further injuring himself.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He seems to be acting okay today. The area remains soft to touch, but it remains slightly puffy. He's moving everything fine. He's no longer fluffing, then relaxing the feathers over the area, so I don't think it's causing him any discomfort, thank goodness.