• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hard choices, am I ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Today m'lady and I went to the pet store. Mogwai has been weighing a lot on my mind lately. The more she acts up and seems to chase Morgan around to get her attention, the more I get worried. It's to the point that I fret every day and check her over to make sure she's eating, to make sure she looks alright. I know she's mourning her friend, but it hasn't gotten better, it just gets worse as she grows more neurotic. Along with that, I also know there's a hole in my life. I know Mogwai misses her friend, I know she loved Captain more then anything in the world. I want her happy again, I want her to have someone she can groom and snuggle up with. So over the past few weeks I've worked myself up in knots over it.

Today I was talking to m'lady about it. We went to the pet store and they had a few pure bred cats, one was stunning, but eh..purebreds aren't something I really crave. We love our local shop, they also take in rescues. Not from actually rescues, but strays and drop offs and the like. One of the kittens they had was a plain ordinary looking grey tabby, but something clicked. I don't know if it's just me searching for something in the hole in my life, or the fact he was leaping for me each time I opened the door and when I wasn't he was shoving his head against the cage trying to get at me. I finally broke down and found one of the ladies to ask about him. They had him turned over to them at four weeks old, he was bottle raised,vetted and healthy. Most of the kittens came from similar situations. I bit my lip and forced myself to walk away.

I need to think about it. The pros are Mogwai will have a distraction from her grief and possibly a new friend, the kitten will have a home where there's room for him, I'll have a tabby boy in my life again, when it's time for my two girls to pass on (they're within a year of each other) I'll still have him (which I realize is important, I don't know what I'd do without my two when Captain passed) and I'd have an animal I connect with.

The cons are Mogwai might hate him and could get MORE neurotic and I know one day he's going to break my heart. There's also the worry I'm starting the cycle of cats over again. Do I want to go through their passings over and over? Can I? Is it just the trauma of how Captain died or is it just that he's the first pet all my own that passed that's made me gun shy?

I'm so torn. I'm home now and thinking it over. On the one hand,I could go tomorrow and get him. I know he'd have a good home then and not fret that someone's unprepared kid could take him home to tug on his ears and chase him around. On the other hand i can wait a week and think more about it risking that he'd be adopted and I'd miss out on a cat I clicked with. Or I could not do it at all. He's not in a kill shelter, the people there are awesome...Gah sorry I'm rambling, I'm really trying to sort my own thoughts out here.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think the little grey kitty needs you...those are my thoughts..go back..I know how hard it is but you know you have a place for him in your heart.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
If you felt that type of connection to the kitten, I think it's meant to be. However, your cats may have a very hard time accepting the new one intruding on their territory. But I'm sure you know how to do the slow introductions and all that stuff to protect the kitten.

Let us know what you decide!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The potential new kitten is male and young so there should not be a problem with the two older females accepting him.

The question is whether you are ready for a new furry face in your life. And, yes, someday he will break your heart and pass away. But is the avoidance of the pain of losing him really worth the loss of never having him in your life and the years you and he could have together?

Oh, kiddo, I understand not wanting to get attached to another furry face and have to watch them grow old and die; or worse, have to take them for euthanasia some day. But the truth is, even knowing the loss will come eventually, I have never, ever regretted taking in a new furry face; or a feathered one, as well.

Your decision. You know your needs and stresses better than anyone. Only you can decide if you are up to sharing your life with another furry purry face. Let us know your decision.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Well...there is a chance things could be hostile. I adopted two kittens last year, and my older female cat hates them with a passion, even the male. Tries to attack them, so we have to keep them apart. Luckily the old cat sleeps a lot.

She just should be prepared for the worst, but I'm sure it will be nothing but the best!

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah I'm preparing for the worst that's for sure. I know my one female will pretty much ignore him, she's not interested in other cats. She's interested in the cat tree, sun and watching the outside world. It's my hope Mogwai will enjoy him. And in truth, even if she decided he was a terror I'm wondering if her annoyance at that would be far better then her constant calling and neurotic behavior.

I've been weighing it all evening. *sighs* And I knew I was screwed when I realized he'd already named himself in my mind. I have training today, I'm going to head out afterwards and stop by the store to see him again.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have nothing to offer but a :hug8: and hoping for an update on your decision.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
If you already named him.....:heart:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah. :o: I kept thinking about him and loving on Mogwai. And I realized that his name would be Sparrow. I'm still weighing on if I should wait a week, but at the same time something is just clicking with him and me so here we go!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
If you're feeling it, I think it's meant to be! Honestly!!

I wasn't ready to adopt kittens, and I saw my two online, and just went "That's them!!!" and I went the next day.

When you know, you know. :)

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah. I think I'll go after training and check him out again. I have a feeling I'm going to end up coming online and you guys will see barrage of tabby pictures. If I wait a week I'm going to agonize over it and fret and worry. Well here's hoping little Sparrow is still there waiting for me tomorrow.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I can't wait for an update! I hope everything works out.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sometimes the decision is taken out of your hands and fate takes a turn in your life. Hope he is still there for you.

Zamion

Jogging around the block
I tried my best not to influence you in any direction when all I wanted to do was scream "Kitty!", stuff him in my backpack, and run to your house with him. Glad he's now home where he belongs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.