• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy's happy time

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Hello!

I never thought I'd have to post about this...
My green cheek conure, Happy, is turning 1, May 14th.

Even as a Vet in training, we really never learned much about this. Which, caused me to forget that birds do this.

I had walked inside, to find Happy on her tent, all fluffed up. Confused, she looked like she was squirming, and softly cooing. That's when I realized, she might be... having 'Happy Time.'

Is this normal for a GCC her age? And is there anything I can do about it?
I've never had a bird do this- So, I'm kind of confused.

Any info y'all have for us?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's totally normal! Happy is at the age where she's almost an adult, kind of like a teenager.

I don't think there's anything you could or should do about it . Just let her do her thing and don't make a big deal about it. It's better she relieves herself on an object than on you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's a natural thing....nothing to be overly concerned about.

Try explaining it to a group of people while you have a bird doing it during a pet therapy visit...:omg: ;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's a natural thing....nothing to be overly concerned about.

Try explaining it to a group of people while you have a bird doing it during a pet therapy visit...:omg: ;)
"Oh it's nothing ... he just has an itch"

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
"Oh it's nothing ... he just has an itch"
My Mom came with me when we were picking up Beep from the pet sitter's house. The lady's Cockatoo was getting groovy and of course, both the lady and I knew what was happening, but my Mom didn't, and asked what the bird was doing. :hehe:

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
The male cockatiel I used to have would first have a big fight with his lava rock, then he'd hold it with his foot while he got "happy" on his ladder, all the while saying hello over and over. Guess he taught that rock who's the man lol.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert gets down and dirty with small balsa blocks. He'll climb up to a perch with it in his beak or foot (which is very awkward) and go to town. For Sherbie, it used to be those finger trap bamboo things, but she'll settle for the dried grass bundle.

I used to worry if I heard the distinctive "squeaking", thinking somebody was hurt, but usually it's one of them taking care of business.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sunshine Tiel still does it on the edge of his food bowl. If you glace over and him, he'll keep doing it with a "Yeah, I'm doing this" look on his face...:rofl:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Sunshine Tiel still does it on the edge of his food bowl. If you glace over and him, he'll keep doing it with a "Yeah, I'm doing this" look on his face...:rofl:
No shame at all! LOL

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
No shame at all! LOL
No, Sunshine is shameless...and quite "prolific"...he's at it two or three times a day sometimes. And it's like preening...when one bird starts...they ALL think it's a good idea.
One time last week, all the little guys were going at it...at the same time! Omega (the only girl) just looked like :rolleyes:...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
No, Sunshine is shameless...and quite "prolific"...he's at it two or three times a day sometimes. And it's like preening...when one bird starts...they ALL think it's a good idea.
One time last week, all the little guys were going at it...at the same time! Omega (the only girl) just looked like :rolleyes:...
:faint::lol: I'm sure it happens in tandem here, too, I've just only seen it firsthand once. :o: "I'll just come back in a bit, clearly you two are entertaining yourselves."

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Rupert gets down and dirty with small balsa blocks. He'll climb up to a perch with it in his beak or foot (which is very awkward) and go to town. For Sherbie, it used to be those finger trap bamboo things, but she'll settle for the dried grass bundle.

I used to worry if I heard the distinctive "squeaking", thinking somebody was hurt, but usually it's one of them taking care of business.
It's that darn itch ...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That’s Henkie too:rofl: When I catch Fëanor he looks at me for a second and then continues. It was funny because in the beginning he would like at me like ‘o crap’ and step away with this guilty look and fluff his feathers:lol: