• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy hut: yes or no?

Aya&Ponzu

Moving in
I have two lovebirds but one particulary, seems very attached to it. Whenever I try to take it out to clean it, she becomes immediately aggressive and starts biting me hard until I leave it, and trust me I don't wanna leave it in but I'm sure fellow lovebird owners know how painful a bite can be if they are really angry. She doesn't seem so attached to it to the point that she won't get out of it, but whenever I get close to it, she gets mad. I've read some articles about not giving lovebird hens happy huts and I've read some saying that I should put it in at night but take it out in the morning. Baseline is, it's basically not recommended for lovebird hens but I was wondering which option I should take? Either remove it completely or remove it only during the day?
Any helps would be helpful thankss

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would remove it. They can make them nasty and hormonal.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would remove it completely so as not to add to hormonal behaviours or health issues.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Best to remove. Aside from behavioural issues, it can hurt them physically. Fibers are a choking hazard.
My little guy used to have one, and I noticed a huge change in his behaviour afterward, no cage aggression, he was having better sleeps, and wasn't trying to regurgitate on me anymore.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
agree with the other comments. Also try to do it when they are out of the cage, take it out but also change things around in the cage so that things are new to both of them, may be less conflict, she can’t blame him for it being gone if everything is different…they will be too busy with familiarizing themselves again with the known toys etc…

all the best…

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve