• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hanukkah

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Good morning, I am a Jewish individual and would like to light a menorah for Hanukkah. I found some beeswax candles that burn for 30 minutes. Do you think it would be safe to light the menorah upstairs and my birds are downstairs. I do not know the composition of the wick
Thank you

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They're unscented?

I actually have no idea, since it would be 30min and in a different floor... @Mizzely ?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Good morning, I am a Jewish individual and would like to light a menorah for Hanukkah. I found some beeswax candles that burn for 30 minutes. Do you think it would be safe to light the menorah upstairs and my birds are downstairs. I do not know the composition of the wick
Thank you
Happy Hanukkah! to you and your birds

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:menorah:
Happy Hanukkah!

I've burned beeswax candles before,in a different room, birdies seemed a ok

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
im kinda in the same boat. i have a ton of beeswax candles that use cotton wicks and dont have any scent to them. are they really safe to use around birds if the birds are in their cage and in different room? what is the beeswax candles have essential oils in them to make a light scent? will that affect them?

i saw somewhere on FB that someone uses those candles all the time and it doesn't cause their bird any distress and they've been doing it for years. but i want to be sure.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
FB? Are you kidding? FB isnt giving you the best and the brightest. Just use a battery operated one like sb sigmund does.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
:menorah:
Happy Hanukkah!

I've burned beeswax candles before,in a different room, birdies seemed a ok
Have you ever cooked in the kitchen? Ever notice how you can smell the food throughout the entire house?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
im kinda in the same boat. i have a ton of beeswax candles that use cotton wicks and dont have any scent to them. are they really safe to use around birds if the birds are in their cage and in different room? what is the beeswax candles have essential oils in them to make a light scent? will that affect them?

i saw somewhere on FB that someone uses those candles all the time and it doesn't cause their bird any distress and they've been doing it for years. but i want to be sure.
No they are not really safe at all unless the room they are used in can be totally sealed off from the rest of the house and its air supply, using candles in another room lessens the damage done to our birds each use but that is not good enough for me- they are still slowly harming my bird... no one ever died after having their first cigarette but the regular use builds up toxins and over time causes issues, can be the same for birds breathing in contaminants. The further away the candles are, the less of their scent and particles in the air the better. I personally threw all my candles out including birthday candles and ones that were for use outside only (mozzie control) as it is not worth the risk when there are so many other actual safe options.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
We light our menorah in a different room. It's fine. One day id like to get one of those outdoor boxes that are popular in israel. We use a small lantern outside for shabbat candles but its too small for the menorah.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
FB? Are you kidding? FB isnt giving you the best and the brightest. Just use a battery operated one like sb sigmund does.
By jewish law the menorah is supposed to be a real fire.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When was this law made?
We're not going to question someone's belief system on Avian Avenue. You can agree to disagree.