• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hanging Upside Down

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
My cockatiel is now 6-months old and is currently going through his first molt. He has definitely learned new whistles and sounds, and is very active!

But I noticed that whenever he perches on my shoulder he starts to spread his wings and bow his head, I know it's a territorial stance but why on me? He also vocalizes loudly on my shoulder and generally becomes a lot more loud and active. Any reasons as to why?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
He is probably very excited and happy to be with you. When my tiel gets a new toy she likes, she will hang upside down on it if possible.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your cockatiel sounds cute! My yield do that when they are claiming an area as theirs, like a perch or play stand. It sounds like your bird likes you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A lot of times it means they want to get wet.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MAN, get out the spray bottle and let it rain on that bird!
She would have us shower her all day if she had it her way :lol: she gets really miffed that our useless human hands need to rest :shifty:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m so pleased someone posted a pic of a hanging upside down bird!!

Love it!!! Mabel is a rockstar!!!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
She would have us shower her all day if she had it her way :lol: she gets really miffed that our useless human hands need to rest :shifty:
Yeah, Farlie wears me out too. I have to use two hands, first the right then the left then back to the right again. :rofl: He loves to get drenched too the bone and then some. :hehe:
I've been trying to get him used to taking a shower in the kitchen sink and also in the shower with me but so far it's been a no-go.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It could quite possibly mean different things... from wanting to bathe, to trying to look big and scary (usually accompanied with hissing), or perhaps something else.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It could quite possibly mean different things... from wanting to bathe, to trying to look big and scary (usually accompanied with hissing), or perhaps something else.
Good point. Sometimes a territorial Tiel will display in a similar way. It's down to us as parronts to learn to distinguish between them. You don't want to be spraying a territorial tiel, that would give totally the wrong message.