• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hanging atoms

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Has anyone had any luck hanging small to mid sized atoms with adhesive hooks or stringing them across two adhesive hooks?

And no "ladies' pink tools" suggestions, @JLcribber, thank you very much.
:kickout:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You are always taking a chance with any kind of "adhesive" hook. They are not meant to hang anything that is going to "move" because that will loosen the adhesive over time. The adhesive will also dry out over time and again start to weaken and let go. They are designed to hang on a wall so the weight on it is pulling sideways to the adhesive (shear pressure). When hanging something from it on the ceiling it's applying pressure directly pulling away/down. It will fail eventually.

Safety first.

Last edited:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Safety first.
I may try a bird cage stand but would like it higher. Knowing my luck, I will bring down half the ceiling if I drill. :confused: Would an arm-type bracket in a wall stud be safer?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Anything screwed into a stud is fine. There are studs (ceiling joist) in the ceiling too. You just need to find it. Easily done with cheap battery operated stud finder from the hardware store.

You can drill anywhere into the hollow part of the ceiling as long as you use some kind of butterfly fastener.

Like this.

Or this.

Perriewinkle

And no "ladies' pink tools" suggestions, @JLcribber, thank you very much.
:kickout:
Oh my goodness.. ROFL.. this is too cute.. I agree with John. His 2nd diagram photo thingy shows what I use in the ceilings. They even come in kits as a plastic piece and a hook in some stores. all you do is drill a pilot hole big enough to wedge the plastic piece into it.

unfortunately, I don't know of ways to hang things like atoms without putting a hole in the ceiling in some shape or form.. Unless you set up some large counter balanced apparatus with pvc or something

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thanks to all. The diagrams help. I guess I am off to the hardware store.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
See that's the reason I just plywood the entire bird room. You need a hook, drive it anywhere you want. You need a perch or a shelf, screw it on wherever you want. It's all about location.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
See that's the reason I just plywood the entire bird room. You need a hook, drive it anywhere you want. You need a perch or a shelf, screw it on wherever you want. It's all about location.
I swear John if I took your advice on some things Id be divorced by now.
Lets review a couple examples.....plywood on the ceiling in my living room....yeah wife is really gonna love the look of that :wacky:
And my personal favorite, how to bird proof a ceiling fan....hell just put chicken wire around it :wacky:

So now my living room has chicken wire around the ceiling fan and the ceiling is covered in plywood, Im divorced and sleeping under a bridge
but Lucy is safe and happy at home with my PO'd wife :wtf:

I kid of course and know this applies to a bird room, but since Lucy lives in the living room and I dont want to live under a bridge, Im just gonna have to pass on these :smuggrin:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Is there any way to hang things from the ceiling without drilling a Hole? I want to get some things for grumbles, but they hang from the ceiling and my mom doesn't want holes in the ceiling as we just built my room.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My hanging gym is on toggle bolts with eye hooks. Had to put 1/2" holes in the ceiling, but they're easy to repair. :)