• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand rearing a canary chick?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I have a potential canary chick that may need hand rearing in the next 2-3 days.

I have never hand reared before. I have formula and syringes for a just in case situation.

Any advice very welcome..help

Claire

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
13 days old..it has been getting a bit of a feed today by its mother but not much ...getting concerned

Claire

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has it been well cared for the last 13 days or just recently? What's changing?

How often isnthe mother feeding the chick?

Is it under sized?

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
The mother has been feeding all 3 chicks on a regular and normal basis for their age but we have noticed the 3rd chick gets pushed out of the way alot..I know this is part of the normal selection. The hen is doing it all alone too..no help from the cock bird.

The hen is getting ready to nest again and the 2 larger chicks will leave the nest any day now..im concerned that 1) will the hen still feed the larger 2 chicks once they have left the nest when she needs to nest herself and no help from the cock bird to carry on feeding thr chicks and 2) the 3rd smaller one will be left in the nest. The smaller one has always seemed 3-4 days behind the other 2?

I don't know what to do for the best...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why is she going to nest again? If the male isn't taking care of the chicks the pair needs a break. Take the male out so there is no new eggs.