• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding advice, Budgies

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I´m so sorry for your loss, I know you were only doing what you were told. How heartbreaking. I know it´s not easy to lose a chick, no matter how much or little time you spent with him, it still hurts all the same.

I´m so furious at the owner! Who are they? a pets store owner?! How can they make you stop feeding the baby?! I just cannot understand!!! What awful advice/instructions to give you!

A baby cannot be eating formula twice a day today, and tomorrow nothing.
It is likely the baby was too cold and couldn´t digest the food.

I´m secretly wishing you would keep this chick... but no pressure...

Again, my thoughts are with you.

Ps, the chicks don´t need a cuttle bone.
Yes, it was the bird store owner, she was incredulous that I hadn’t weaned them yet. I was under the impression that they weaned themselves, gradually rejecting the formula as they chose seed until they would no longer accept any formula. I did not find anywhere that you were supposed to just force them to do a hard switch. That’s why even after I was told to stop with the formula I still offered it, it just seemed unacceptable to deny her the option, should she accept it. I was thinking she may have been cold too, she really went for the formula in the morning, usually she is a fussy eater. Maybe she ate like that to warm her body?

When I went into the store Saturday the owner had already been shopping them around to customers and had interested buyers. The whole thing made me a bit nervous, now it seems ominous at best. He doesn’t even have feathers on his wee chest, this bird is not ready to be sold.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was under the impression that they weaned themselves, gradually rejecting the formula as they chose seed until they would no longer accept any formula.
This is correct. As birds eat veg and seeds and all these new things, they will stop taking formula when offered, slowly, over time.

Maybe you could buy the bird, then you be incharge of finding a loving home for the bird once he´s weaned?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
OMG i'm so sorry to hear about this, my heart breaks for you!!!

That store owner is likely only wanting to make a quick sale, and to most people, the younger the bird the better..."For easier training". And for a store owner, the faster the sale, the better. This makes me so damn angry!

By looking at pics, I can see how or why someone would tell you to put the bird in it's own cage with perches, but being around 5 weeks old, they still do prefer the comfort of a nest or incubator when they need a break from the real world, and to sleep in at night. Trying to rush this process, and the weaning process usually ends up in disaster, as we are now witnessing. :(

Please do NOT blame yourself for this, and I applaud you for not releasing the other chick back to the store. Hold firm on your decision and do not back down! Even if they threaten you with some made up claim, you are not going to put that babies life at risk.

Please keep us posted.
I agree completely! And thank you, it’s so hard not to feel like I’m at fault, but I trusted the direction of someone whose advice I should have been able to trust. She was such a lovely little soul, and man did she love snuggling. I didn’t even want to separate them for a few minutes, taking them apart and leaving her with no one to snuggle up against for warmth was a horrific idea. Even if they threaten me, what they would ultimately be seeking is to sell the bird right now, fine. Done. I’ll buy him, but I’m not releasing him back into their care until I am positive he will survive without my assistance.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Maybe you could buy the bird, then you be incharge of finding a loving home for the bird once he´s weaned?
I agree, the more I look at it, I’m likely to keep the chick. I am not going to put his life at risk, he’s in my charge and I take that very seriously. I’m not sure of the sex of the chick yet, but if he turns out to be a she, I have a very good friend with an all female flock of budgies that are her world. Mary would typically happily take in a girl in need, but some of her girls are getting older and vet costs are rising. I would have to see how she felt about a new baby. Having seven birds vet checked last month was like getting kicked in the gut and then told good news, everyone is healthy. It hurts but it’s worth it. It would be tight until I rebound financially, but if need be I would keep this chick without question. I budget for my veterinary care, I know I wouldn’t be taking on more than I can handle. Even if eight birds sounds a bit crazy :lol::budgie::awletf::awpletm::pletgm::rflb::eros::rosbor::rosbor::heart::heart:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad to hear that you're not going to give that bird back (Until weaned, if even then)

If you can most updated pics of the little one, in natural light with a clear shot of the cere, I can sex it for you.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
the more I look at it, I’m likely to keep the chick.
I have found that a traumatic experience creates a strong attachment resulting in severe difficulty to let go.

On xmas eve my youngest chick hatched, however 2 days later, the chick was abandoned by the parents. As much as I tried, I could not save him. He passed away the next day aged 3 days old, and upon discovering his body I found the next youngest was now also not fed. Still upset about the passing of the youngest I did everything I could for the now 5 day old chick. When it came to giving the chicks away, I couldn´t let go of the little one, there was too much emotion invested. Sadness, joy, worry, fear, stress, and most importantly, love.

Obviously, that is just my story... and I´m a huge softie.

I´m glued to this thread, I´m hoping for a happy ending for this little one!❤

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww he´s so cute!❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Aaw! He is so cute I can barely stand it! If he’s male the other was female, they had opposite colored Ceres.

When it came to giving the chicks away, I couldn´t let go of the little one, there was too much emotion invested. Sadness, joy, worry, fear, stress, and most importantly, love.

Obviously, that is just my story... and I´m a huge softie.

I´m glued to this thread, I´m hoping for a happy ending for this little one!❤
I agree completely, the second I found his sister I knew I couldn’t let him go back to the store Tuesday. Their advice was dangerous and in this case deadly. The more time passed the more I realize I’m not taking him back. It’s exactly like you said, that tragedy brought an immediate end to my trying not to fall in love with them; obviously I’d already failed at that, so I am all in. I can freely admit to myself that I don’t ever want to let him go, it’s not out of selfishness, or because he’s a cute baby - but because we’re family, and I want to see his life full of love and affection and flight! And I am also a huge softie my children (humans n/a) always come first. If I had to give an animal away, and I was my friend, I’d be my first call. Actually that’s how I ended up with these babies in the first place, a friend needed help.

Now I have to navigate the situation with the store. I know she was looking forward to selling them and has potential buyers lined up...it feels rude to show up sans birds to tell her one died and one I am keeping. To be brutally honest, I was told they’re $5 birds - try not to kill them but if you do no big deal. I try not to speak poorly of people or repeat regrettable comments they made, but that one...yikes.

If they do need help again I’d like to be someone they contact, especially if that’s their opinion on any bird. At the very least, they deserve to be brought into this world with love. I’m worried that I may be damaging that possibility. Other than follow very bad directions though, I don’t think I’ve done anything wrong. And really she’s got to have had hand feeders keep babies before right? I considered buying her a replacement but given the lack of bothers she gives for budgies, I honestly didn’t know if it was worth it - obviously the replacement wouldn’t be a hand fed, loved on and handled baby. And they sure wouldn’t cost me $5 each...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Just fed my hungry little man! As usual no seed in his crop. He is really not interest in any food but formula, I’m a bit shocked that they want him back today. He’s still just a tiny baby.

B122EACA-78DC-4B0E-8FDD-16BDF4329AC2.jpeg

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can freely admit to myself that I don’t ever want to let him go, it’s not out of selfishness, or because he’s a cute baby - but because we’re family, and I want to see his life full of love and affection and flight! And I am also a huge softie my children (humans n/a) always come first.
I feel we fell from the same tree ❤

it feels rude to show up sans birds to tell her one died and one I am keeping.
Don´t feel rude. Call her and tell her of the passing now. then tomorrow tell her you will buy the other chick.

To be brutally honest, I was told they’re $5 birds - try not to kill them but if you do no big deal.
That´s diabolically disgusting. (If I write more, I won´t stop)

I’m a bit shocked that they want him back today.
Don´t let that baby go. They will force wean it and completely stop hand feeding.
The baby needs to wean in his own time in a loving environment. Please don´t take that baby from your house.

That picture is just the sweetest! I just hope he stays with you and this will not be the last.❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I feel we fell from the same tree ❤
❤❤ Now that’s a compliment! :hug8:

That´s diabolically disgusting. (If I write more, I won´t stop)
I think my soul cringed just typing that out. The comment was inexcusable, I do hope it at least helps add context to the thread.

Don´t feel rude. Call her and tell her of the passing now. then tomorrow tell her you will buy the other chick.
Don´t let that baby go. They will force wean it and completely stop hand feeding.
The baby needs to wean in his own time in a loving environment. Please don´t take that baby from your house.

That picture is just the sweetest! I just hope he stays with you and this will not be the last.❤
Fantastic idea! And good heavens if they did that he would starve to death! He hasn’t picked up on seed at all. The only last thing for him is that he’s home - first last and forever. :heart: And home is where he will stay, except the necessary vet business of course.

Right now we’re making very good use of the men’s pocket tees I got for my parrotlets :lol:

11BC7517-9655-4DA4-9A81-6EC4691889A3.jpeg

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad that this litle one is staying with you. I don't have words for the callousness of that breeder.

It's important to let him wean at his own pace and to keep feeding formula for as long as he wants it. Some adult parrots still get a comfort feed of formula, and maintaining feeding him from a syringe will help you get oral medicine into him if you ever need to. It's no bad thing to keep up.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Make a point whilst on the phone to this (woman) informing of the loss of the first baby, to say that this chick has not eaten any foods offered. Make sure it is known what the babies progress is.

I think it is pretty clear my opinion on weaning, chicks taking their time, and weaning when they are ready. Today I have been handfeeding for 118 days, since 27 december, my ¨chick¨ is obviously not a chick anymore, she is 123 days old!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I'm so glad that this litle one is staying with you. I don't have words for the callousness of that breeder.

It's important to let him wean at his own pace and to keep feeding formula for as long as he wants it. Some adult parrots still get a comfort feed of formula, and maintaining feeding him from a syringe will help you get oral medicine into him if you ever need to. It's no bad thing to keep up.
Callous is a very good word for it. For someone who has dedicated their life to birds, that attitude is so inconsistent with the love that dedication requires. And that is a fantastic point! Meds are always a bit traumatic without practice.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did I mention to give the bird a stuffed toy?
I´m sorry, there has been so many chick posts it´s hard to remember.
Now that he is alone, a small plush toy with no loose parts or threads will give him some comfort. I gave Adelie a little whale the day she was the last chick left.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Make a point whilst on the phone to this (woman) informing of the loss of the first baby, to say that this chick has not eaten any foods offered. Make sure it is known what the babies progress is.

I think it is pretty clear my opinion on weaning, chicks taking their time, and weaning when they are ready. Today I have been handfeeding for 118 days, since 27 december, my ¨chick¨ is obviously not a chick anymore, she is 123 days old!
Good idea! And lol! How sweet hahaha she is soaking up that quality mom time :heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Did I mention to give the bird a stuffed toy?
I´m sorry, there has been so many chick posts it´s hard to remember.
Now that he is alone, a small plush toy with no loose parts or threads will give him some comfort. I gave Adelie a little whale the day she was the last chick left.
I’ve got a little stuffed zebra he can have, it’s an infant toy so nice and safe. It’s maybe too big though he could sit in its lap