• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half moon conure?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I visited my local rescue yesterday (A Helping Wing) to drop donations off and hang out with the birds. They have the most adorable half moon conure, he is new to the rescue. I keep saying no more birds but I might make an exception for him. I have no experience with half moons and was just looking to hear from people who do have experience with them. I’m not looking to cage them together but he would have to get along with Ben, my turquoise green cheek for supervised out of cage time. Of course the rescue is willing to work with me and if they don’t get along they will take the half moon back. I’m just curious in general what their personalities are like and if there’s a chance the half moon would get along with my GCC. Anything I should know about half moons before considering taking him?

18B03D46-49DF-4080-98D4-60D70B094E99.jpeg

F6D4B807-9063-4C0C-A8A7-F71BA83B580C.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´ve seen a few new members join who have or have owned Orange-fronted conures but unfortunately they didn´t stick around.

Maybe @Wendy27

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I mean I’d assume they’re similar to other conures but I figured it never hurts to try to find out as much as possible

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Conures generally get along together, but of course some live to prove that wrong :lol: They are an aratinga species so much louder than a pyrhurra, however I have heard they are quieter than a sun conure.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Conures generally get along together, but of course some live to prove that wrong :lol: They are an aratinga species so much louder than a pyrhurra, however I have heard they are quieter than a sun conure.
I’m only concerned about noise because I’m in an apartment, good to know there’s a chance he’d be the loudest of my flock. My flock tends to be quiet and I know they feed off of each other so he might not scream so much since the rest of my guys don’t. The rescue had a blue crown conure who loved to scream with the big macaws, I’ve never heard my blue crown scream even close to as loud as she did :blink: I’ve never had any complaints but I’m not trying lol sometimes I feel like Ben wants a buddy but part of me wonders if he’d be jealous. He loves to hang out near my blue crown but my blue crown doesn’t like Ben.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I don't own one but have spent plenty of time handling young half moons. They seem pretty good, less nippy compared to greencheeks. How old is it? I've only dealt with younger halfmoons 2-5 months volunteering at the bird store. They generally have been pretty sweet. I did talk to an owner recently who took home a half moon who was sweet to both the husband and wife. 3 months later, he hates the wife.. so typical bird stuff. Definitely not as loud as suns, but do have the distinct conure sound.. i know when a conure has just entered the store.

If your green cheek likes the BCC, there is a decent chance he may get along with the halfmoon(if the halfmoon likes him). I will say, if you do take the bird home, please don't keep "I can return him/her" in your back pocket. It really shouldn't be an option unless the situation is extreme, just wouldn't be fair. Not trying to be mean or dissuade, I just think there needs to be 100% commitment whatever the outcome is in the end.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I do kinda agree with @DoubleTake ... you should be “all in” :)

And i wanted to say WOW! Wat a handsome little sexbom you have there :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will be the opposite side of this - I have kept birds beyond when I should have because I felt committed to be "all in" even when it wasn't 100% working out. Had I admitted my failings, both me and the bird would have been happier.

Just food for thought :)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I will be the opposite side of this - I have kept birds beyond when I should have because I felt committed to be "all in" even when it wasn't 100% working out. Had I admitted my failings, both me and the bird would have been happier.

Just food for thought :)
There are always exceptions, but should not be a plan B before bringing a bird home. Glad it turned out well.

@Parakeet88 good luck if you do end up taking the cutie home. I do hope it works out.

Last edited: