• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green wing

Razd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raz dv
Hey guys, so I bought a new green wing macaw, and I think that I got scammed and got hybrid macaw in my opinion it looks like a flame macaw cuz of the green feathers on the back of the neck where it should be just red as far as I know. Also she weighs 1010 grams and shes 5 months old. Green wing should weight 1200-1600 grams I don't see how is that gonna happen, even the lowest weight, ur opinions guys? Adding her photo + how a real green wing should look like,
Also I have another question, I've a quaker, he is 4 years old I didn't do a blood work for him, he is not looking sick/ depressed/ anything else(pooping looks good beak nails etc) I'm thinking about putting them bear each other, do u think I should do tests for the quacker first? What diseases should I check beak and feathers and Chlamydia? Thanks

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think you need to keep your new macaw away from your Quaker for about a month as you wait to see the macaw doesn’t have Abby health issues. I would also get the macaw screened for whatever diseases your vet recommends per your location and if bird was from a breeder or pet store.

yes your macaw looks different than I’d expect. And it sounds like she’s pretty small. This is another reason to get her checked out by the vet right away. And later maybe the vet can have a look at your Quaker just to be careful if the Quaker has not yet had a health check.

Honestly I’m more worried about the small size of the new bird. That is quite small. I have not kept macaws but if the bird is smaller and a different plumage than expected it’s even more important to have a vet check her out.

congratulations on bringing home your beautiful baby bird. She will be the prettiest ornament on your Christmas tree.

Razd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raz dv
I think you need to keep your new macaw away from your Quaker for about a month as you wait to see the macaw doesn’t have Abby health issues. I would also get the macaw screened for whatever diseases your vet recommends per your location and if bird was from a breeder or pet store.

yes your macaw looks different than I’d expect. And it sounds like she’s pretty small. This is another reason to get her checked out by the vet right away. And later maybe the vet can have a look at your Quaker just to be careful if the Quaker has not yet had a health check.

Honestly I’m more worried about the small size of the new bird. That is quite small. I have not kept macaws but if the bird is smaller and a different plumage than expected it’s even more important to have a vet check her out.

congratulations on bringing home your beautiful baby bird. She will be the prettiest ornament on your Christmas tree.
The macaw is checked for polomya , beak and feathers and Chlamydia she's healthy, about her weight, she isn't weaned yet, eating 120cc daily. Most of the day she just messing around with p15 and nuts but not eating yet, maybe this is the reason she is still not fully grown. Thanks for the reply, about the coloration, I think maybe shes ruby or flame hybrid macaw.

Razd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raz dv
The macaw is checked for polomya , beak and feathers and Chlamydia she's healthy, about her weight, she isn't weaned yet, eating 120cc daily. Most of the day she just messing around with p15 and nuts but not eating yet, maybe this is the reason she is still not fully grown. Thanks for the reply, about the coloration, I think maybe shes ruby or flame hybrid macaw.
Added photos in daylight the previous photo was with flash.

Attachments

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I see. With flash she looked a really different color.
i think I’d still quarantine. But your vet can advise.

Zanny

Moving in
To me your bird looks like a normal green wing baby. When they are young they have more green feathers that eventually fade away, and I am sure she will grow into her normal weight. Still, quarantine and a avian check up are needed before you let her and your quaker share the same space.

Razd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raz dv
To me your bird looks like a normal green wing baby. When they are young they have more green feathers that eventually fade away, and I am sure she will grow into her normal weight. Still, quarantine and a avian check up are needed before you let her and your quaker share the same space.
Thank u, I have her 3 weeks now, she's all checked up, the quacker ain't , this is what I'm afraid of

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Honestly it can't hurt to take the quaker to the vet anyway and get a full check up. And I'm a big advocate for doing regular blood work. It's always good to have it done while they're healthy, because it gives you a baseline on what their levels should be at when they're not feeling well.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I see what you’re saying, Razd. Yes, I think it’s a great idea to get your Quaker checked out.

I would also be careful about the Quaker climbing on the macaws cage. My first Quaker was boarded for a day and climbed on a Greys cage. The bigger bird took a chunk out of her beak. Quakers can be little brats and macaws are much bigger so make sure they don’t tangle.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should quarantine for 30-45 days. Your quaker needs health tests if you want piece of mind. Your GW could turn around and pick something up your quaker is carrying but is asymptomatic. I'd get gram stain, WBC, chem panel, choanal swab. In the picture, it appears that bird has some black facial feathers. Pure GWs have red facial feathers.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
The first picture was she set? The colors make me think of possible liver inflammation.
For a macaw with slow weight gain ( if you feel this is the case ) I would check for bornovirus

The quaker , a test fir clymadia is a good idea as wellness exam .

Last edited:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
She said that was due to a problem with the flash and sent some photos with much more normal coloration, just some extra green at the nape.