• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheeks hate each other!

ssseagull

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a green cheek conure that I got as a rescue along with 2 other birds. I didn’t want three and I thought he would be fine as a single bird, so I rehomed the other two. I felt bad that he was lonely when I wasn’t home so I decided to introduce a second green cheek, since he got along fine with the other two I assumed they would be friends.

Unfortunately he hates the new bird and tries to fight him through the cage bars. I assume this is because me and him have bonded while he was living alone.

I’m no newbie to the parrot care world, but there are so many different perspectives and opinions it’s difficult to know what to do until it’s time to do it.

My goal with this was to stop my green cheek from screaming all day when I’m not in the room. This has worked, he doesn’t scream anymore AND he still loves me. Would it be an ethical decision for me to cage them separately and spend time with both of them individually? It’s so strange, they hate each other but when one of them is in the room alone they just scream and scream. I’ll be downstairs with my old bird and the new bird is upstairs screaming.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The vast majority of parrot owners house their birds separately. There is no ethical constraint regarding that. Should you cage them together and et them injure each other? Obviously not. Give them equal time and love them both. Parrots are vain, emotional, possessive creatures. Invariably, they resent new arrivals. To me, the most realistic goal is that your birds tolerate each other. If they enjoy each other's direct company, you're lucky. Just being in the same home, even in separate cages, makes them a flock. Their existence will serve as enrichment for each other. Also, parrots are long-lived, God willing, and a lot can change over time. They may get to the point where they tolerate or even enjoy each other.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We actually usually recommend all birds start living separately. Think about it like this...

Your bird had two roommates who he got along with. Those roommates left, so your bird was used to living alone for a while, especially because he made new friends (you!)

Then suddenly, a stranger moved in! A roommate he didn't ask for or want was suddenly in and on his cage. How would that make you feel?

Personification aside, birds are territorial, and their cage is like their nest. They defend their space. It is totally fine to allow them to each have their own turf and to have different relationships with you.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
How long have you had the new bird ?

New birds should have their own cage .

Birds will absolutely fight if one is on the outside and one on the inside, even after ( if they do ) become friends. I have birds that are a flock and very good friends , but if one got on another's cage while it was inside, they will fight .

It takes time, patience, and slow managed introducing and positive association to become tolerant, and hopefully friends.

ssseagull

Checking out the neighborhood
We actually usually recommend all birds start living separately. Think about it like this...

Your bird had two roommates who he got along with. Those roommates left, so your bird was used to living alone for a while, especially because he made new friends (you!)

Then suddenly, a stranger moved in! A roommate he didn't ask for or want was suddenly in and on his cage. How would that make you feel?

Personification aside, birds are territorial, and their cage is like their nest. They defend their space. It is totally fine to allow them to each have their own turf and to have different relationships with you.
Thank you, this was very helpful!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Just my 2 cents. I had two conures who lived in the same room (separate cages) for over 7-8 years. They hated each other for the first couple years and then just tolerated/ignored each other until year 8. Then they became snuggle buddies randomly one day. You just never know!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have two green cheek conures that hated each other to start with

how long you had the new one ? What was his other two friends species ?

as @Pixiebeak said don’t allow them on each others cage when other is in cage they will fight though bars
Remi not cage aggressive at all but if pip got on top of his cage he would go nuts doesn’t care when my lovebirds on his cage at all

I have a rope perch outside my cages near cage door one would be out on rope perch other on perch attached to door shut I gave treats to relaxed body language got them both to do tricks wave give treats slowly they became less aggressive towards each other I had separate out of cage time for them both set an alarm so they had 10mins out each time then I would make sure the one going back in their cage had nice veggies or a nutriberry to keep them relaxed or fill up their foraging toys

once they showed relax body language I took them in my bedroom which was neutral area sat on bed remi was on my shoulder pip sat on my knee I was giving pip head scratches remi came down my arm preened pip but then hit him on head with his beak which they started fighting so remi went back in his cage with a no fighting no biting telling off remi knows what no biting means and pips getting it

doing things as a flock bath g together foraging for treats together helped loads once they are showing relaxed body language towards each other I was just ready to break up fights with my hand in my hoodie as a tired separating with just my hand that hurt lol

I found remi seemed interested if I was giving pip head scratches he wanted to help and I think that’s how they bonded