• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

green cheek or maroon bellied?

white_rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anya
So I adopted a conure in January and I was told that she was a green cheek conure but recently it has come to my attention that her colouring is odd for a green cheek so I looked into it and realized that she might, in fact, be a maroon bellied conure any ideas? 1428803779992-1649894031.jpg
If she is a maroon bellied conure are there any major differences that I need to be concerned about?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh yes, what a beautiful little MB. Congratulations! @rockybird has a little sweetie. I do not think they have many difference, personality wise than cheekies.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Yep, normal green cheeks and maroon bellies look similar, but one of the easiest differences is that green cheeks have dark grey heads (see my avatar) and maroon bellies have green heads. But unless you know the difference it can be easy to mix them up. In fact, one of our local pet stores was having a conure promotion and had green cheeks in various mutations listed with prices, but the picture on the poster was actually a maroon belly!

Your little bird is gorgeous. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Difference in tail color, too. Maroon bellies have green on the topside of the tail and maroon underneath, whereas normal GCCs have maroon on both sides. They have very similar personalities.

Congratulations on your cute maroon-bellied conure. What did you name her?

Last edited:

white_rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anya
Yep, normal green cheeks and maroon bellies look similar, but one of the easiest differences is that green cheeks have dark grey heads (see my avatar) and maroon bellies have green heads. But unless you know the difference it can be easy to mix them up. In fact, one of our local pet stores was having a conure promotion and had green cheeks in various mutations listed with prices, but the picture on the poster was actually a maroon belly!

Your little bird is gorgeous. :heart:
Thanks! I wondered why she didn't look like and of the color mutations that I saw but I never expected her to not even be a green cheek.

Difference in tail color, too. Maroon bellies have green on the topside of the tail and maroon underneath, whereas normal GCCs have maroon on both sides. They have very similar in personalities.

Congratulations on your cute maroon-bellied conure. What did you name her?
Thanks you, I thought I read something that mentioned that I just didn't realize that she was a MBC at the time.
Oh and her name is Kate.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a little maroon belly girl also. She is my little sweetheart. Kate is absolutely adorable, but I have a soft spot for maroon belly conures. I was also told that my bird was a gcc, but found out later that she is not. She will be 14 yrs. old this summer, but is NOT slowing down a bit.

white_rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anya
I have a little maroon belly girl also. She is my little sweetheart. Kate is absolutely adorable, but I have a soft spot for maroon belly conures. I was also told that my bird was a gcc, but found out later that she is not. She will be 14 yrs. old this summer, but is NOT slowing down a bit.

She is so cute!!! Kate will be turning 1 sometime this month unfortunately I don't know her hatch date so I don't know exactly when

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
That is a lovely little maroon-bellied conure! Very closely related to GCCs, but not quite the same. I have never had a green cheek myself, so I would not know of any major differences, but my Zorro is pretty much as GCCs are described.

He does screech from time to time, but I think all conures (indeed, all birdies) have the ability to do that.