• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek conure in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird57

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amy
Yes, I drive myself crazy looking at Craigslist looking at the ads. I recently lost my two oldest cockatiels who used to follow me around like puppies. I miss that terribly. My 4 other birds are rescues who will never do that. (Love them anyway) So I have been looking for a baby cockatiel or similar to that will hopefully have that bond I am craving.

I found a one year old green cheek on CL tonight. The owner is moving out of state and is asking only $100 including cage, toys, etc. He was hand raised but is not touchable right now. I don't know if I am up for the challenge. I've only had cockatiels and lovebirds these past 20 years. What do you think?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you go meet the bird? If you dont feel comfortable I would wait for one you do feel okay with, but maybe the bird will really click with you and it wont be as bad as you might think :) I would also recommend looking into positive-reinforcement training. There are several great books and DVDs that are great for learning some great ways to work with and train them. :)

Lovebird57

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amy
I just did some research on here about the GCC. I don't think this would be a good match. I thought and prayed over this. He is a one and only bird so I am concerned about how he'd feel with my other kids. If I had other conures or no birds at all, I think I'd go for it. I am currently off work due to an on the job injury but probably will be going back in the next month. I don't think that would be enough time to really work with this little fellow.

If there is someone else in Phoenix looking for one, this sounds like a great deal.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Amy, I think you made a good decision about letting this GCC go to another home.
If he is a hands-free fid, it could mean months before he would become cuddly if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.