• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek coniour aggression

Lizzard

Checking out the neighborhood
My parents have a pair of old green cheek coniours. they both came from pretty bad situations but were very friendly when they were younger. now, however, they will not let me get close to there cage without trying to attack me. it is making feeding them very hard. I have tried everything! I think letting them out of the cage would help, but my parents won't let me. Any ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Green cheeks can be cage protective , especially if they are bonded. It's also spring time so hormones are raging. How big is the cage? Do they ever get to come out?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Are you bird sitting or or these your birds now? If they are now your birds, you need to start a assimilation and training course with them. Right now they see you as an adversary and you need to show them you are their flock member. Sit beside their cage for fifteen minutes to a half hour twice a day and talk to them in a calm and quiet voice to get them quieter and tamer. When you walk by the cage, place treats in their feeding bowls through the cage bars and this will teach them you are the bringer of good things to eat; no reason to attack or get upset...

This is basic taming for aggressive conures or any type of bird. Good luck and have fun.

PS: don't let them out of the cage yet. Chasing them to get them back in the cage will convince them you are the monster they think you are!