• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green and Gold Bell Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are all so cute!!

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you :D

I bought two more today :hehe:

Going too split them up over the weekend into two enclosures, got all the pretty moss growing for them :D

My crickets for breeding arrived today. 800 crickets :eek: tell you what...That was one hell of a parcel too open!

I would've had an amazing video of them hunting...then I realized I didn't press the button properly :( they're such energetic frogs!

starreys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sarah
thanks for the link:) hmm thats pretty noisey i dont think i could handle anything noisier then a cricket :laughing12:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've actually been really enjoying the crickets chirping! But I know they annoy a lot of people.
The sound of frogs makes me really happy. I find it insanely relaxing, just reminds me of so many childhood times :)

I'm honestly not sure theyre even legal to keep in Victoria?

starreys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sarah
hmm not sure i keep geckos ive never kept frogs and offcourse you know that from APS lol.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:(

I kept counting them tonight as I was feeding them, and noticed I couldn't see my favourite. But I kept feeding...kept looking and counting....kept moving logs around...hoping MAYBE he buried himself (though unlikely for the species).
The thought of "maybe he got eaten..." Crossed my mind a lot, as this species like all frogs eats whatever fits in its mouth, but it also hunts other frogs in the wild...
Well, as I was continuing counting and feeding, I had to grab one poor bugger out from the throat of another :( thankfully I was watching, and thankfully I got him out, he was seriously about half a second away from being gone.
He seems okay, I'm worried about internal damage since frogs crush things,

But I've separated them into groups of two now.

Poor little dude that became lunch :( you can thank the guy I'm holding in my hand for eating him :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..I am so sorry.:( Is it possible they need more food, more frequency, more variety of foods,a larger enclosure or are they just opportunistic?

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Opportunistic I believe, anything that moves at any time is fair gain. I feed them, a lot...twice a day of as many crickets/flies as they can eat each. They have room, but launch themselves around really well.
They've got a pretty well insatiable appetite it seems. The banjo frogs are very "meh" about food (different enclosures) but the bell frogs just slam it down non-stop. There was a slight size difference with two being a tad bigger, ans one in particular seemingly more aggressive, and it just goes to show the difference it can make. So I'm keeping those two together and separated the others more. They have a lot of room so I didn't expect that to happen. I wish he'd just show up but I moved everything and he isn't in there :( feel so bad for him.
He just grabbed the other one as he hopped past after a cricket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.