• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Great Billed Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
While I doubt we will ever see them in Australia, I would love a GB! They are on my dream bird list. :heart:

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah, I wouldn't take that quote they told me very seriously. I may have completely misheard or the person working there may have the price wrong. $2000 from a breeder is what I've come to understand as well and there's about a 20-30% retail markup, which would usually mean ~$3000 in a store, give or take a couple of hundred. It's 'probably' $2800, not $1800.

All I know for certain is they're amazing birds and worth going out of the way to see one in person. :cool10:
I've had the pleasure of seeing them in the Philippines and Loro Parque. I guess you could say they were both out of my way... :rofl: Beautiful birds that really remind me of Alexandrines :)

snackies

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rebecca
While I doubt we will ever see them in Australia, I would love a GB! They are on my dream bird list. :heart:
they are gorgeous - they remind me of a giant scaly breasted lorikeet... lol, looks wise. reminds me of the one I used to have.

it's a shame there are just certain types of parrots we will never see here, or if we do, in very, very small numbers.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I purchased our two great billed parrots as weaned babies in 2007 and their price was $900 each. We had been on vacation and visited parrot mountain in gatlinburg TN and we saw some Great billed parrots there. When we returned home I did a search on line and was lucky enough to find Breeding Dreams ranch in CA was advertising two baby great bill females for sale. Great billed parrots had been a dream bird for me for years but I never thought I could find one or afford one. After seeing them at parrot mountain it got me interested in finding one as a pet and the stars must have been aligned just right for me to be able to find my two girls.I wouldn't imagine that the price has gone up much more than I paid. Not purchased from a breeder anyway. Pet stores of course would probably charge more. There is a pet store in VA who often has great bills for sale and I think they sell them for $1500, which is also the price I believe Parrot Mountain sells them for.

RainbowParrots, I think I might have seen a relative of your girls! Well, it was a hen, I don't know if she was hand raised or not, only that she was the only great billed and she was being traded or sold to another breeder. I didn't see any other great bills, so perhaps she was the mother? Or? Would be interesting to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.