• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grate or No Grate for my Cockatiel Zoey

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Hi, I am a New Member of this Group and I need to know should I use a Grate or no Grate for my Cockatiel Zoey I was using a Wee Wee Pad on Top of the Grate but she started eating her Poop and food off the bottom and eating the Wee Wee Pad she has Perches to get on and off the Grate would be be Heather for Zoey to be on the Grate? And I don't know what else to use so she won't eat her Poop and walk in it. So Please I need some advice. Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
For a ´Tiel, paper to line the tray under the grate is better. Cheaper and more eco friendly. This will also mean that your bird won´t be able to reach her poops.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always use a grate. Also, what is her diet like? Cockatiels actually sometimes eat their droppings because of nutritional deficiencies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why does she need perches to get on and off the grate? You could add a ladder for her to climb up on. Does she have difficulty climbing up the cage bars? She should be able to go down to the bottom and climb up the bars but a ladder can be helpful.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Cockatiels often forage on the ground in the wild, so they do like to go on the ground, although not having a grate isn’t required. I use a grate for mine because the cage I have has a large gap between the bottom and the grate. Using newspaper would be a better option for bedding, as it’s non-toxic (if it’s not in color). I use packing paper for my cage, it’s similar to newspaper, just without the print. It’s relatively cheaper to newspaper as well, as you get more of it in a pack.

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Zoey diet is the Best out there no cheap food like Hartz never would feed that to any animal Zoey gets pellet food it has fruits and vegetables carrots and etc plus she gets fruit treats and greens. And sometimes vitamins in her water and no she doesn't have any problems climbing on the bars on her cage she climbs like a pro just don't want her eating her food off the bottom or poop or the wee wee pads plastic so I think the grate Zoey has to stay on so she can't eat that bad stuff

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Yes I knew that Zara plastic isn't good for anything to eat and I have Zoey on the Grate now yesterday I did and put the wee wee pad in the tray and she can't reach it Zoey is mad at me I believe but I told Zoey I want her to be Healthy not sick she just hisses at LOL

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I’ve never really heard of wee wee pads being used as cage lining for birds, but I’m worried it may contain chemicals in the plastic that could be toxic to Zoey, even if she can’t reach the pad. Birds have highly sensitive respiratory systems and anything that contains chemicals unsafe for them may release fumes that can lead to sickness and even death (as often seen with non-stick Teflon cookware). I’d still suggest paper lining, it’s safer and relatively easy to buy, you can literally head to your local grocery store or gas station and grab the Sunday paper.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Zara the Wee Wee Pad I use is unscented is that make it still unsafe? Even in the pan? New to the birds

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If it has plastic then it is not safe.

The pads are unnecessary, not eco friendly and expensive. I don´t understand why you want to use them.

Because you have a small bird, paper is the best option because small birds only make small poops and the paper will collect them with no problem.
You can use newspaper or any other paper you have.

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
It wasn't me my Mom told me to use them I want the Best for Zoey so I will change her to paper towels in the pan okay

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Okay Zara and everyone I looked up on Google if you can Use Wee Wee Puppy Pads as a cage liner for the pan for then to poop on and Yes it is 100% Safe just they don't need to eat it because of the plastic on the bottom of the wee wee pad but it's Not Toxic to use on the pan for catching waste as long as the grate is there where they can't reach it I found this Information on a Parrot Website

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
because of the plastic on the bottom of the wee wee pad
I´m not a hippy per se, I am very concious about plastic consumption, I hope you understand.

Puppy pads = expensive + plastic pollution

Paper = cheap + better for environment

If your bird pooped a litre of liquid I would totally understand.... but with our little birds their poop is so small they don´t need an absorbant pad.

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Yes I completely Understand Zara just letting you know they are toxic to be at bottom of the Pan just something new to learn I will use paper towels for right now that is all I have besides wee wee pads

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't use puppy pads(wee wee pads) those usually have plastic lining and the material in the center is usually fibrous. Paper towels would be a better option but may not be cost effective, these should also be put under the grate and out of reach of your Zoey. I had a friend who's cockatiel would eat/ingest the paper towel and had to go to the vet for treatment. It happened more than once. I personally use newspaper that my work leaves behind after they are done with it. You can also order blank newspaper stacks that comes in bulk and different sizes to fit your cage better. You can go to somewhere like uline.com for blank newspaper.

I would vote for the grate, yes it is more work to clean but it is better for the bird unless it has a splayed leg or some handicap.

ZoeythePorg

Moving in
Okay DoubleTake I don't mind at All Cleaning the Grate actually Zoey isn't making it dirty I put Paper Towls in the bottom of the grate I did have a Wee Wee Pad in the pan and Zoey couldn't get to it. I don't want any Vet bills and Zoey doesn't have any leg issues but just wondering will the grate cause any calluses on her feet?? She can get on her perches and climbs her cage bars just fine.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Zoey doesn't have any leg issues but just wondering will the grate cause any calluses on her feet?
No, she will be ok with the grate :)
Grates are usually only a problem for special needs birds.