• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grapvine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
I purchased a grape vine for inside of my aviary and i know the wood and the fruit is safe, but i just wanted to double check that if my birds did get the leaves, the leaves are safe also? Thanks everyone!

Merlin

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Natalie
I have no idea! I will do some research. My grapevines are long past having leaves haha.

Sierra_N_Fids

So do you mean your birds have had nibbled on the leaves? I think it is okay because the other parts of the vine are safe but i want to be certain...

Merlin

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Natalie
Nope, they are old and dried stands. They never had leaves on them. There are a few things around that say people 'think' they are safe, but I can't find anything certain sorry.

Sierra_N_Fids

Ohhh Yes I actually found that yes it is recommended in an outdoor aviary.

This is from phoenixlanding.org "If you have an outdoor aviary, butterfly bush, snowball (viburnum), ••••• willow, forsythia or other parrot-safe vigorous hardy bushes could be planted in the aviary. By mid-summer these shrubs always need pruning. Give your birds a job! Grape vines are fun and safe. Tropical plants, hibiscus and palms, for example, can be set out during the summer in large pots in colder climates. Stand a large clay pipe on end, fill it with soil and add some greens. I can’t believe you ate greens! Last, but not least, have fun!" Lady Scarlett

I also read that the leaves themselves have high salt and vitamin A. I am never going to leave my birds alone in the Aviary so if they do go for the leaves i will make sure they don't over do it.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Thanks for the info! I have a small grapevine in my back yard that I'll be trying for my birds aviary! My guys love flowers, especially Marigolds and Petunias :)

Status
Not open for further replies.