• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got a new lovie today. Edge Dilute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I decided to get a different baby bird after all. I went to pick up my original bird last night and then I saw a pied lovie that's just a few days younger than the one I was going to get. I was told that it was mostly pin feathers when I came by the last time so they didn't have it and 3 other young birds out for sale. She also had a lutino and a couple of opalines out last night.

I didn't ask what mutation this new bird was, but it was gorgeous. It was a pastel butter yellow with a little light green on it's wings, and it had a light turquoise or light bluegreen looking back. There were some other splotches of color on it's body so it looks like it was painted or tie dyed. Its face looks white.

I wanted the bird I picked before since I thought it may turn out to be edge dilute when it got its adult feathers, but then someone pointed out that the edge dilute should be somewhat or very obvious by now. There wasn't any evidence of it being edge dilute so I didn't want to take the chance particularly when I saw the pied lovie. I can only have this one last bird unless something awful happens to one of our other birds or if a miracle happens and my husband agrees to just one more. I know I couldn't handle more than 5 or 6 birds and this bird will be number 5. I felt bad, but I changed my mind to make sure I was getting just what I wanted. The breeder encouraged me to get what I wanted, and she didn't charge me any extra. She didn't want me to have regrets.

This new baby that I'm definitely getting doesn't have any black on its beak. It's beak is very orange looking right now. I know it's a baby since I saw it take a tiny bit of formula before it decided to walk away and jump around.

The breeder said it would be ready probably in around 4 days. She doesn't let them go until they've been off formula for at a minimum of a complete 48 hours, and she lets them wean on their own so she can't say for sure. I'm guessing it will come home on Saturday or Sunday since it ate a little formula last night. It was fully feathered since I couldn't see any pin or down feathers on its back. It was very calm and stayed in my hands for a long time without trying to get out. The one I originally wanted was trying to climb out of my hands when I first held it, and it wasn't fully feathered on its back at the time. It was flying all over the place when it escaped from my hands last night too.

I remembered my camera, but I forgot to take a picture. I'll post pictures hopefully by Sunday.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
It is very correct that if it was edged dilute you would have seen it by now and pieds dont get black on their beak so thats also the reason why the pied doesnt have the black.

Here you can see a picture of when my lovies where babies and i was handfeeding them. Zazu is in the middle and you can see he is a edged dilute. Also you can see omi he is all the way at the bottem. He is my Edged Dilute Pied. You can see that both Omi and Tweeden (the one at the top) do not have the blackness on their beak while the other 3 do.

MBS

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the very cute picture. Zazu and Omi do look very edge dilute in that picture.

The one I'm getting does look almost the same as Tweeden except mine is mostly yellow on the wings with a little green. The green and the yellow color on Tweeden's wings looks the same as the yellow and green color on mine, and his/her beak is the same orange color too. I'm pretty sure mine is Tweeden's mutation. I'm guessing Tweeden is a Dutch Blue pied?

It would be nice to have a few lovies like you, but at least for a long time I can't have any more.

Do you know if the colors intensify on the pieds once they get their adult feathers? I know a lot of the mutations and the normal ones get much brighter and even more colorful when they get adult feathers. I'm guessing that pieds stay the same colors since they already look so bright. Maybe they get a peachy brow?

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Tweeden has a peach Brow right now.. also his colours are more bright, and yes he is a dutch blue pied..
The only of my babies that doesnt have a peach brow, is Beastie.. She/he has a yellow brow..

Status
Not open for further replies.