• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goofball Birds

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I'm looking to getting a Red-Belly Poicephalus in the future and need to find a playmate for when I'm gone.

I won't be home all day, therefore I wont always have a lot of time to play with my fun and goofball of a parrot. I want another parrot to get along with it for when I'm gone... Not looking for a temperamental bird such as the caique. I was also looking at the senegal parrot but they like to cuddly more than play (from what I've read). I know the Green Cheeked Conure is a playful bird, but since they are totally different species, I don't know how they would get along.

I just want a bird that loves to play, is similar in size to the Red-Belly, and doesn't easily get attached to one person. Suggestions?

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Does anyone think the Jardines and Red-Belly would get along?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is no way to predict if one bird might get along with another. Sometimes, too, birds get along for many years and then, for some reason, they start becoming aggressive towards one another. Sort of like humans who are the best of buddies and/or spouses and then things fall apart and they go their separate ways.
Were you planning on caging together or have separate cages with supervised play time?
I've had to separate all of my red-bellies so that they have individual cages now. They can play together but only with supervision. I also feel that 2 females doesn't work out as well as 2 males but even the males can start fighting.
For example:

seti hurt 2.jpg
Part of cere and beak removed and injury to eye ring.

Get your red-bellied first and go from there. You may decide to get another one as a friend for the first one or may decide that's not necessary.
BTW, my Senegal does like to play. He is mellow and doesn't bug other birds but the red-bellies bug him and that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It was bad and I rushed him to emergency vet. He healed although one nare is now larger than the other one. He's my current avatar.
Oh wow. I’m so glad he made a good recovery. How scary!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow. I’m so glad he made a good recovery. How scary!
Thanks. His brother, Roswell, had multiple bites on his foot and also went to the emergency vet. His injuries were minor compared to SETI's. They were not only clutch brothers but best buddies. They would hold feet and dance together to music. They do OK visiting with one another when they are out and about but would never take a chance and cage them together again.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks. His brother, Roswell, had multiple bites on his foot and also went to the emergency vet. His injuries were minor compared to SETI's. They were not only clutch brothers but best buddies. They would hold feet and dance together to music. They do OK visiting with one another when they are out and about but would never take a chance and cage them together again.
Annnnnd. You just answered my dilemma about whether to cage the caiques together! Thanks!

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@iamwhoiam I was planning on caging them separately just because I've heard similar stories to these. I wasn't planning on getting another bird right after the red belly either. But I'm pretty interested in the senegal and the Jardines parrot. Was the Jardines the bird you mentioned before that was on a website and you were tempted, or was that a different poi?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bird I mentioned was the Ruppell's. I like all Pois, though. You should check out the Cape Parrot, aka the "Gentle Giant".
It always made me sad when I had to separate the red-bellies.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
The bird I mentioned was the Ruppell's. I like all Pois, though. You should check out the Cape Parrot, aka the "Gentle Giant".
It always made me sad when I had to separate the red-bellies.
Yeah, I'm sorry that happened to them. I'm glad they're better though. I swear "Ruppells" was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't think of it. But you're right, I should probably take one step at a time, and wait till I know my babies personality before I make another decision. I tend to get excited quickly and over do everything lol. But I was still researching about the Jardines and I thought the fact that they can easily make themselves occupied with their own toys make my heart throb haha :xflove:

I've seen videos of the Cape parrot, or the robustus? They look pretty cute, but I never knew they were in the poi family. I'll look into them for sure :dance5: