• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye my big dog Zeus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I have been trying for the last four days to come and write this but haven't been able to without bawling. I think I have finally got a grip so here goes!
In Sept we got a rescue puppy for our older and (we thought) slightly arthritic dog Zeus!! They hit it off instantly even though there was a 100 lb differences between them, Zeus perked up and was happier than we had seen him in a long time. Then about a month later we learned that what we originally thought was arthritis turned out to be bone cancer. Between his size and bad joints he wasn't a good candidate for treatment and unfortunately bone cancer is very aggressive and painful. He made it a month and half with a smile on his face most every day, trying his best and yearning to be able to participate in his favorite activities. The last couple weeks we realized he just wasn't himself anymore. This once 115 lb dog was now skin and bones and we were having to carry him in and out to go to the bathroom, something he did NOT appreciate. Still it was so hard to make a decision because every time we would look at his face he just had a huge smile. Finally last week we did what was best and called the vet. We are very lucky to have vets who will come and do it in our home and on Saturday afternoon he passed peacefully at home with his head on my lap.
I have been a wreck and miss him terribly, the first day I felt some r
elief for him but now just miss him. He was such a huge presense.....literally. Every morning when he would hear me getting up you could hear his tail...THOMP, THOMP, THOMP, sounded like someone hitting the floor with a baseball bat. We always joked that he didn't have a tail but a baseball bat hanging off his rear end!! This time of year I always had to wrap my Christmas ornaments extra tight on the branches of my tree or else they would go flying around like it was batting practice!!
Here he is with his puppy Tinker!! He was a wonderfully crazy dog, did tons of stupid stuff but was also the most loyal and somewhat
obedient :o: (LOL) dog and was happiest just being with us outside!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so sad for you. Sending comforting hugs :sadhug:

ImaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
I am so sorry for your loss :hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry. You could tell just from that picture that Zeus was a big overgrown angel.:hug8:

ThatDarnBird

I'm so sorry for your loss.:hug8: He sounds like such a wonderful dog! Keep remembering those wonderful silly things like the christmas ornaments-that made me giggle because we had a dog very like that, we always had to worry about what was at tail level. :) It was meant to be that you got your puppy. It's so wonderful that Zeus had him in his final days and that you have him to hold onto now.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry for your loss.

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
I'm so sorry for your loss.....Zeus looked so happy in that picture with his new little puppy, like a big gentle giant :o:.....my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family :hug8:

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Melissa. That is just one of the loveliest photos I have seen, so, so heartwarming. Thinking of you all :hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so very sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. Lots of heart hugs to you.:sadhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So sorry for your huge loss, he looked a beautiful dog in his pic. You loved him and gave him a wonderful life and he will of course be so missed as a valuable member of your family. Grieve and move on knowing you will always have your wonderful memories to cling to. Know also the brick in your chest will slowly thaw and you will function once again and love other pets. Theywill be so grateful also to have a loving mum.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am deeply sorry you lost such a wonderful friend. I love the photo, it shows he's exactly as you described. Keep yourself open and I hope he can let you know he made it over the bridge and is okay.

Ginger

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm so sorry :( dogs become such a massive part of our lives so quickly.
He was lucky too have you, someone who loved him, not someone who tied him up in the backyard for looks.

Comfort yourself with that thought; that you loved him endlessly and he knew it x

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so verry sorry for your loss...run free and pain free Zeus!!!:hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
oh honey, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a loved one, but you did what was best for him, and you made his last several months happy. I know he was comforted to have you hold him during his last moments, knowing he was well loved and will be missed. Sending healing prayers for your heart.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
:hug8: he will forever have a spot in your soul

Status
Not open for further replies.