• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good travel cage for budgie?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a travel cage for a budgie?

What I really want is a little plastic dog crate, but the bars on the front of even the smallest ones are too wide. Unless I come up with a good way to modify one of those (if someone has a good idea, please chime in), that's out.

I'd like something good and solid, something I could put a perch in (or makeshift), something big enough for a budgie to be comfy in. I'd love solid sides. Small animal carriers are fine too. I'm keeping an eye out when I go to the pet stores.

If the budgie folks could give some ideas, that'd be great.

Thanks yall :)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mhert

Meeting neighbors
The take me with you carriers are pretty cool and lightweight. Most larger Petcos sell them too, sometimes even the next size up.
You might want a reusable zip tie for the door though.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I also really like the Take Me With carriers.

Adding to Mhert's suggestion: The plastic bases have small holes along the edge where it locks onto the wire - hard to miss unless you know to look for them. Get some small zip ties and put them through those holes and the bars to fasten the cage to the base extra securely. The bottom can come off pretty easily otherwise.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had a thought.

There's this stuff those of you who either customize terrariums or work with lighting might be familiar with. It's called egg crate, or light diffuser. It's a plastic grid.

I wonder, if you ziptied 1/2 inch egg crate to the door of a dog crate, if that would work to make it safe?

Or alternatively, maybe you could cover the front of it in fleece or something like vet wrap, thus covering the dangerous big holes and making it safe for small birds. It's a thought I had while I was at petsmart with Roxie, we walked past the crates and it popped into my brain.

Also, for those who are wondering, I did end up finding something, although it's not ideal as it loads from the top and Chirp is terrified of it. But if I have to use it, I can. If it's at night I can grab him and throw him in there and lock it in a few seconds. I just wish it were easier to modify and load, which is a major pain.