• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

good dry cat food and wet cat canned brand?

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri

I mean ideally, the more wet the better. Cats who eat dry drink more than cats who don't, but they still only consume half the moisture of a cat on canned. Cats are biologically designed to get most, if not all, of their water requirements through their prey. So when we feed dry as the sole food, it really taxes on the system because they are essentially perpetually dehydrated.

I used to feed all dry, until a few years ago. Then I did one can a day divided between two cats, then half their calories from wet, and now they only get 1/8 cup of dry to share as a foraging item. My cats went from hairballs multiple times a week to one hairball every other month? Litter box stinks less, they pee more but poop less, and they have a lot more energy. So for us, the proof is in front of me that wet is a better diet.

And dry does not help with dental, unfortunately unless its an Rx food specifically designed to do so.

6 Reasons why dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth
That was very informative, I am gonna relay this info to my mom!