• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good broker???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
Anyone know of a good and trusted breeder or broker for babies? (macaws, amazons, hawkheads, greys, cockatoos, etc.)

Please pm with details!!

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This sounds like a post a bird flipper would make. :(

Please explain your motives.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
This sounds like a post a bird flipper would make. :(

Please explain your motives.
I agree.

Please tell us more about why you'd like the info you ask for...we're good people here...we won't bite!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I wasn't going to say anything that is encouraging to this post but I agree with both Bob and John are saying. Something doesn't feel right about this.

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I want to get a baby, harlequin macaw, or an orange wing amazon, partial to gala h cockatoos, or hawk heads. I got a cage, just looking for a "big" bird. Very little to none in rescues near me, but we have a bird shop that's expensive...

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think you need to have more posts to PM anyway

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hate to ask this but have you ever lived with a bird of any kind let alone a (as you call it) "big" bird? Why a "big" bird why not a smaller one? I'm sorry to say this but your post sounds like you are looking for a trophy bird and not a companion. Written posts don't carry the inflection or emphasis that verbal communication does which is why I am asking. There are many questions you aren't asking.

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I want a bigger bird to harness and freeflight train! Harnesses are easier to find for larger birds, and are less likely to slip off. Yeah I kinda want a "trophy bird" but one as a companion also. I work a farm/garden/pet store so I'd like to bring it to work with me. I'm 19 so I want a bird that will be with me for life! I've had a macaw scream my ear off, doesn't bug me near as bad as some!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok tell me about the research that you have done on those types of birds? Is there a avian vet near you? How much time do plan on spending with this bird? What does avian vet cost? Are you old enough to be a responsible bird owner?

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
Been researching for 3 years, plus been to the bird shops near me getting to know the store pets. There is a vet near me, reasonable price, been talking to him a bit... I aim to take this bird almost everywhere with me! "Old enough? I'm old at heart! I listen to the 60's, have a flip phone, and open the car door for women every time!" He said with a grin, happily!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We really don't like to see people rehome birds because of unforseen life changes such as collage, marriage or divorce but it does happen. More especially with someone in your age bracket. That is why we ask you questions. There are hundreds of homeless big birds living in rescues because expectations did not gel with the realities of having a companion bird. I include an article for you to read. Let us know what you think.

Flock Call - It's their choice

Last edited:

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I HATE phones! When you see people at the park sitting on the phone not playing with their kids it makes me mad! People need to learn how to interact with each other again! Electronics were supposed to make life easier, not make your life! He said with anger and passion:lol:I've vented for the day!:oops2:

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
Wonderful article! It defiantly makes sense! The only problem is, there are 3 rescues near me...1. Is 2+ hours away closed to public basically. 2. Doesn't have any birds. 3. Doesn't have any birds, and birds are kept outside all year, fed sunflower seeds all year, and they are a bird mill. If like to find a rescue to find a bird to bond too, but don't have any options...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ask around. Not all rescues advertise. Thanks for reading Kathy's article. Look her up on Flock Call.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I want a bigger bird to harness and freeflight train! Harnesses are easier to find for larger birds, and are less likely to slip off. Yeah I kinda want a "trophy bird" but one as a companion also. I work a farm/garden/pet store so I'd like to bring it to work with me. I'm 19 so I want a bird that will be with me for life! I've had a macaw scream my ear off, doesn't bug me near as bad as some!
Been researching for 3 years, plus been to the bird shops near me getting to know the store pets. There is a vet near me, reasonable price, been talking to him a bit... I aim to take this bird almost everywhere with me! "Old enough? I'm old at heart! I listen to the 60's, have a flip phone, and open the car door for women every time!" He said with a grin, happily!
I've never looked for a "big" bird harness but I can tell you straight up that harnesses for smaller birds are not hard to find. God forbid, I have 2 and my largest bird is a sun conure. Have you tried volunteering at any of the vet offices near you? And I am assuming, since you didn't answer the question, that you've never actually lived with a bird? Having a macaw scream at you sometimes for the hours you are at work is not the same as living with one 24/7. One of the birds in my flock is a sun, Tikki. Love him dearly but, since I'm going deaf, his screams don't bother me as much as they do visitors or family members.

The answers you give are, to me, too glib and too flip, there is content missing. You are coming across (to me) as too hot and too heavy (to use a very old phrase). I'll wish you luck in finding your "big" bird but I'm in no position to help you in any way. I love my small birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It is as easy to find a small harness as it is a big one and they work just the same for the big and the small birds. I am a little curious about what content you have been reading about free flying as your comment there has me a little confused. Can you tell me what you have read that would make you think harness and free flight are able to work well together for the bird safety and skills? Everything I have read and the two professional trainers (plus one other trainer who is not a professional) I have conversed with about the subject of free flight do not suggest using harnesses if you are going to allow your bird to free fly so I would be keen to see what information you have been researching in this area in particular. Is there something I have missed?

Have you personally owned birds before? Only asking because I now have a large bird and I had only ever owned (fostered bigger birds but never owned) smaller birds before. There is a major difference in owning a larger bird to owning a smaller one and I just hope you are ready and prepared for the commitment and changes a big bird (in particular) will bring to your every day life. Could be a bit of a shock or a big let down for the bird if you only think you are ready, please just make sure you do definitely know the full extent of what you are getting both yourself and the big bird into by bringing one home with you. Also If you work at a pet store, how will you ensure you are not bringing your bird into an environment that could have potentially more chances of harmful diseases for your bird?

I am hoping that these are all things you have thought out very well as big birds are like a child who will never grow up, only issue is that nearly anyone will and can look after kids but birds are a different kettle of fish for baby sitters!

Good luck in your search and please let me know where your free flight information came from as I do not think I have read what you have given our different belief/understanding of free flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.