• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Good/Bad molting?

Susan Marie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan Marie
Hello I have two lovebirds. I noticed one looks like he loss weight (not much). The other looks like molting around neck and outer wings. They both eat well. The skinny one does feed the other mouth to mouth because the other is always laying liquid eggs. I love these two very much and I am worried. Is this good or bad?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Hi, it's nice to meet you. How old are your lovebirds? How long have you had them? Have you taken them to the doctor for a check up? Are they eating and playing okay? I call my vet so often they know me by name and if I show up at random times, they take me in. Yes...I'm aggressive when it comes to my family. Very protective.

It's normal for birds to molt. Liquid eggs may be caused by nutrition or if the bird is relatively young and is laying for the first time, it isn't uncommon for the first few to be not completely formed. When our birds molt, we give them extra protein in their diet. There are dietary crumbles/pellets or you can add egg, chicken or fish. When we see liquid eggs in our chickens it's a lack of calcium, they get lots of extra spinach plus oyster shells in their laying crumble, we switch it over to molting crumble and add the protein. We also provide lots and lots of sprouts. I have trays and trays growing all the time.

If you haven't already, take them to the doctors for a visit, go to just get a check up at least and put your mind at ease. It's hard to tell if birds are losing weight when they are little and have feathers. Those feathers are deceiving! My budgie who looks way smaller than my parrotlet but weighs more.

Susan Marie

Real Name
Susan Marie
Thank you so much for your reply. There is no Avian Vet locally. But there is on in the next city. I do boil eggs and let them eat crumbled white and yolk. I also give them spinach leaves, kale and apple slices. They are wonderful. Very smart! I have had them going on 4 years now. They’ve been laying but they always are liquid. I burying them and give a little prayer. I know that may sound silly. But, Hey call me silly.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi and welcome.

Perhaps give them some calcium too, or grind the egg shells and let them eat that if they will.

Susan Marie

Real Name
Susan Marie
I will do that thank you for the tip!

Susan Marie

Real Name
Susan Marie
BBAB9D7A-FB68-4858-8402-87145F0DF006.jpeg 91943CD1-B67E-4B62-8D3F-BE7CB16EA9D6.jpeg .
I hope you can see the gray feathers!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Up that calcium pronto..boiled dried crushed egg shells are good, also you can get liquid calcium for the water . Liquid eggs,..meaning no shell? Or thin, soft, transprent,,membrane kinda looking thing?