• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Golden Retriever

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Does anyone have a Golden Retriever? How does he/she do around your birds? Any health issues with the Golden? We have a 7 year old female mini aussie how does great with the birds, she could care less about them. We were thinking about adding anther dog to the family and interested in either another aussie or a golden.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Golden's are awesome dogs, sadly they have a huge cancer concern. Many, many pass from cancer.
Do your research and check breeders closely. You may pay much more if there are breeders that can prove it's not in their lines.

As for your birds, Golden's are easy to train and love to please. Remember that they are bird dogs (retrievers) and start training while young.
I'm known several that are in parrot households and they always were gentle and obedient around the birds.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
macawpower58, would you suggest a male or female as out next dog? Not sure if would go with a golden or another mini aussie.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My family had a male golden growing up along with my cockatiels. I don't remember a single close call involving the golden around the cockatiels. I have heard of a golden killing a scarlet macaw several years ago, but I believe the owner walked out of the house and left them together unsupervised which was not smart. Our golden was not the healthiest individual though. Lots of skin problems, ear problems and on thyroid medicine. Oh and epilepsy for his last several years. Thankfully, he did miss out on the cancer that is so common...unless it was undiagnosed and causing the seizures. Every time dad took him hunting, the dog would need a vet visit for skin problems and hot spots or ear infections. He was just more prone to those problems than other sporting breeds we've had(labs, griffons and spaniels). Our golden had temperament issues too. He was the only dog to ever bite me and I've got the scars to prove it still 30 years later. He did a lot of resource guarding. I don't believe those problems are typical of the breed though.

Personally, I'd go with a mini-aussie, sheltie, border collie or actually almost any other retrieving or spaniel breed other than a golden. Despite the temperament problems our dog had, I still like the breed and have been impressed with the apparently very sweet soul that many of them posses. The cancer issues compounded by my own experience with nickel and dime vet trips for a multitude of small stuff scares me away from ever getting another golden. He was just a high maintenance dog and not that great of a personality to anyone except my dad.

As for male vs. female. If getting a large retriever or pointing breed, I'd go female when in doubt. I've known a number of male labs and obviously our golden that were just jerks for lack of a better word. Prone to running off and not coming when called, or only responding to commands given by alpha type family members, some attempts at pushing lower family members and strangers around. I usually prefer male dogs myself and currently have a very soft tempered male springer spaniel who is great with the birds inside. He was just out flushing quail and rabbits a few days ago for my harris hawks, but I've never had a close call with him around my parrots since he was a very small untrained puppy. Springers have their own serious temperament issues though too if you aren't careful of the bloodline. I think male vs. female is breed dependent. I would not discriminate based on sex for the collie or aussie type hearding dogs though. Just met too many sweet males.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I watch a female golden regularly, she is the sweetest! A smart girl, gentle with my cats, but I never let her around my rabbits, ducks and birds. It is easy to keep them seperated though, why take the effort and risk to introduce them when I don’t have to you know? I wouldn’t let them interact directly, but being in the same room with birds caged should be doable:) She does have a health problem with her bones that was present from birth. I am bot entirely positive which it is, she is also on a special diet because she has allergies I believe. I don’t know a lot about that as I personally don’t speak to her caregiver a lot, my mother does that and I just walk and play with her while she is here. She can run and all that just fine:)
15BA7BB5-7E7F-41DC-93CC-C59D0394A966.jpeg

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know this is probably highly unusual for Goldens but as a dog walker I have been taking care of 2 siblings for 7 years now and they are murdering machines. They have killed countless small animals. Not while I was walking them but when they are out in the yard alone. One time all I found was a rabbit head. Sorry to be so graphic but just wanted to say there are no rules to any breed.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Maybe I'll just stick with the one mini aussie I have. She is a once in a life time dog, she is perfect. Never chews, digs, smart as a whip,and never has gone toilet in the house. She also has never shown any interest in the bird, except wanting them to feed her! LOL Her only fault is being skittish around anyone but myself, husband, and one daughter. No one can touch her except us unless we hold her and then she is not happy.