• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving Oral MED's Hellp my first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm giving Baytril, she told me it tastes terrible. So now that I'm home I thinking what do I do if Bronson doesn't take it? Also giving Metacam at the same time and I see on the instructions to give with food, what should I use? I know I've read of various foods and methods to use for meds, I just can't seem to find what I need to know.

Such a busy day for me, I'm still on the run and will get back to this thread ASAP. THANK YOU!

kaylayuh

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
My only experience with giving a bird oral medication was with a budgie, so if you're giving it to a large bird, my method may not work. My vet told me to put my thumb and forefinger around the bird's neck and squeeze only tight enough to have a grip. Use your fingers to open the bird's beak. Once the beak was open, I inserted the syringe and quickly gave the medicine.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I towel and hold them like a baby, on their backs. With the left hand, hold behind their head, and use the right hand to put the syringe in their mouths. *Squeezing* to open their mouths is not necessary, and I can't imagine how much pressure would be needed for that anyway - sounds dangerous to me. And do NOT hold around the neck - it's the back of the head where it's safe to hold somewhat firmly.

Some people's birds are used to syringe feeding and will take medicine without towelling - mine aren't, and won't.

Mixing medicine into food or juice may be counterproductive. For one, the effectiveness of some meds can be affected by the acidity of orange juice, for example. For another, unless the bird finishes every drop, s/he won't get the entire dosage.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If you have any uncertainty about how to towel and safely hold him, have your vet show you.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Oh, also important - to minimize the chances of meds going down the bird's airway, point the syringe toward the RIGHT side of the bird's beak/mouth.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Thanks! My hubby and I are good at toweling and Bronson is fine with being toweled. Thanks for telling me what side to put it in, I was worried about squirting it in too fast and aspirating her. The Metacam says to give with food, not sure what? :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Last edited:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the article link John. I just gave Bronson her meds ALL BY MYSELF! I toweled her and kept her in an upright position and carefully got it in on the right side of her beak. I could tell she didn't like the taste at all! Tomorrow morning I'll give the metacam w/food. I'm sure it will get harder to medicate her when she realizes it will happen twice a day and then I'll need hubby's help.
This is really nerve wracking.

That article is GREAT, thanks again!

Last edited:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Bronson, I hope she's feeling better soon! What are the meds treating? I find it easiest to towel Olive upright against stomach because that way she has something to hold onto and moves around less. She will definitely start catching on, so vary the routine as much as possible and give her as many treats as she'll eat. :hug8:

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It's not a good idea to lay them on their back. Ever try to swallow something laying down?

There's a good article in the stickies for Orally medicating your Bird.
I do it the same way my avian vet does, which is holding them like a baby. Although the back is down, they are not in a completely supine position, since the head is higher than the rest of the body.

You're dribbling it in a little at a time, not squirting it in - not any different than drinking from a straw while propped partially up in bed. I can tell you that, at least with my guys, if you held them upright, they would be spitting it out faster than you could get it in, unless you had a third hand to tilt the head back. Also, no way that I could medicate a large macaw by myself while holding him or her in an upright position, without risking injury to the bird - they are pretty powerful birds.

ETA: When it says "with food", it doesn't mean it needs to be, or should be, mixed into the food, just that it should be given around the time the bird is eating, so that s/he doesn't get it on a totally empty crop. IME (with three different macaws, a duck, and chickens), they detect even the taste of Metacam, and won't eat the whole of whatever you've mixed it into.

Last edited:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Poor Bronson, I hope she's feeling better soon! What are the meds treating? I find it easiest to towel Olive upright against stomach because that way she has something to hold onto and moves around less. She will definitely start catching on, so vary the routine as much as possible and give her as many treats as she'll eat. :hug8:
Thanks Ellen! Bronson has a nasty nasty yeast infection, she's plucked, picked and scratched herself terrible. Her skin is inflamed and infected. She is miserable. I'm so ashamed of myself for waiting to get her in, I simply had no money. I scrimped and saved every penny I could and got her in today. I had blood work done as well. Her weight is good, her appetite is excellent.
She is also one of those poor girls to be stuck in breeding mode. I just can't describe how bad it is for her. Laying eggs, whining all day and night. Each year it lasts longer and longer. I think that's what started the plucking to begin with. She was no longer the bird I knew, she couldn't enjoy anything being like that. So we started her on Lupron injections as well.
I should be getting some lab results in tomorrow, so I will keep everyone updated. Bronson is tucked in for the night, she seems comfortable, she was such a good girl at the vets. She didn't make one peep when the drew her blood or gave her the injection. They loved her. She's my sweet baby girl.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
ETA: When it says "with food", it doesn't mean it needs to be, or should be, mixed into the food, just that it should be given around the time the bird is eating, so that s/he doesn't get it on a totally empty crop. IME (with three different macaws, a duck, and chickens), they detect even the taste of Metacam, and won't eat the whole of whatever you've mixed it into.
This is what I was thinking too. Thank you for your replies :D

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:to you and Bronson.

southernbirds

Very glad it worked out well for you & Bronson. You sound like an amazing bird mommy!

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award

Thanks Ellen! Bronson has a nasty nasty yeast infection, she's plucked, picked and scratched herself terrible. Her skin is inflamed and infected. She is miserable. I'm so ashamed of myself for waiting to get her in, I simply had no money. I scrimped and saved every penny I could and got her in today. I had blood work done as well. Her weight is good, her appetite is excellent.
She is also one of those poor girls to be stuck in breeding mode. I just can't describe how bad it is for her. Laying eggs, whining all day and night. Each year it lasts longer and longer. I think that's what started the plucking to begin with. She was no longer the bird I knew, she couldn't enjoy anything being like that. So we started her on Lupron injections as well.
I should be getting some lab results in tomorrow, so I will keep everyone updated. Bronson is tucked in for the night, she seems comfortable, she was such a good girl at the vets. She didn't make one peep when the drew her blood or gave her the injection. They loved her. She's my sweet baby girl.
Aw, poor Bronson. I was just curious because Olive has been on and off antibiotics for a respiratory infection since I got her. We have a vet appointment tomorrow to (probably) get more antibiotics. Olive does much better when I give her avian probiotics twice a day on her fresh food. Maybe that is something to try for sweet Bronson as well. :hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I hold Judy with her head tilted to the side. I squirt the meds slowly, but steadily into the side of her beak. I'm not sure if it would work for other birds. Judy kees her beak slightly open.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE I called the vet and got Bronson's lab results. She is positive for a yeast infection, so now I have Nystatin to give her orally. She is so going to hate me. Did I mention how each time she is getting more feisty with the syringe! The first two have big gouges in the tips from her biting them. Don't know how much longer they will be usable........:eek: I guess that's better than gouges in my finger tips, huh? :rolleyes:

She has a slightly elevated white blood count.
And slightly low on calcium, from her egg laying. She said to increase her vegetables rich in calcium, I also have a calcium supplement to put in her water.

She'll go back in 10 days for a follow up. Thank goodness I got the results today, I wasn't looking forward to worrying about them all weekend. Hopefully she'll get some needed relief from the Nystatin.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you can get extra syringes from your vet. Mine gives me all the syringes preloaded with the meds, which is handy when they decide to bite the tip off and is more sanitary too. :) Try to give her plenty of vit A too as that will keep her immune system strong. :hug8: Keep us posted on how she's doing!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Now's a good time for Red Palm Oil and lots of sunlight. They aid in calcium absorption.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
See if you can get extra syringes from your vet. Mine gives me all the syringes preloaded with the meds, which is handy when they decide to bite the tip off and is more sanitary too. :) Try to give her plenty of vit A too as that will keep her immune system strong. :hug8: Keep us posted on how she's doing!
Thanks Ellen, even though I told her the medicine is cherry flavor, she still tried to bite the tip off! LOL I will boost her vit A as much as I can! Lots of TLC too! :D

Now's a good time for Red Palm Oil and lots of sunlight. They aid in calcium absorption.
Thanks Jen, I have RPO on hand and I'll get her outside as much as I can. She doesn't know it yet but I'm getting her an Aviator Harness for more fun in the sun! :marlenesmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.