• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gigi at 7 months

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi continues to be such a lovely bird. I could not be a happier bird Mama. She has a great personality, full of enthusiasm for all her people. And OMG, she's cute as can be. I love my little green parrot.

She's still pretty quiet with contact calls for specific reasons and lots of buzzes and beeps. She does 4 trick whistles and several kiss versions on request. I didn't know Linnies were such great mimickers but she really is. Her whistles are clear as a bell and she does them often, sometimes all her variations in a row. I just started working on "Hello."

She loves to play with toys. She hangs from them and fights with them, now starting to really bite and destroy them. She has always loved to manipulate toys, putting them thru perches, knocking them off her cage top and looking so proud. She is also more open to new toys, warming up a little faster now.

I regularly touch her beak and cheeks and when I scratch her neck, she leans down. When she is away from her cage, I can put my hand around her or put my face against her. She lets me preen her pin feather sheaths. She was occasionally nippy a few months ago, but now never. If she doesn't like something she just leans away, never bites.

She has a great diet now with her pellets, soft food and a Nutri-berry each afternoon. Interestingly she has never taken a piece of food from my hand. Most of my birds in the past were happy to take anything I handed them. Or sneak something right off my plate. But she eats only what's in her bowl, in her cage.

Her cage door is open for the afternoon and she goes on top of her cage, happily on her play gym (thanks to @Matto), off for a shower, or hangs around on top/arm of the sofa and on my shoulder. She always heads back into her cage on her own to chill for the evening.

I've had many birds in my long life and hands down, Gigi is my favorite. It's a different time. I'm retired and able to do the work, giving her the life that she wants to bring out the best in her. I have the time now and I'm so happy that she's happy. She's a lucky bird and I'm a lucky bird Mama.

So if anyone is considering a Linnie, I couldn't be more enthusiastic. Gigi is all parrot in a little, quieter and gentler package. She's a smart as any bird I've had. Who knows what the years may bring? But I'm thinking it's going to be great.

IMG_5166.JPG

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Gigi is definitely growing into a gorgeous young lady! ! :congrats:Not that she wasn't beautiful before. :D

I hadn't heard of linnies before I joined the Avenue and I think the most I read about them is on your posts, so thank you. What a neat bird! I love hearing about her & seeing pics of those vivid green feathers! :pinklol3:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Karen! I have had so many kinds of birds in the more than 40 years I have been a bird Mama, but I had never heard of Linnies either! 6 months ago I called a local breeder to see if he had any hand raised budgies. He said no, but what about a Linnie? He recommended that I read all about them online to see if it would be a good fit. I loved what I read and haven't been disappointed!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
They're such great birds!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're such great birds!
Matto, I cannot imagine the cuteness overload at your house with all those Linnies. I really think they are the best kept secret in the little bird world.