• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting wax out of cat fur

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
The good news is, Morgan isn't hurt or burned. She bumped a candle over and splattered bees wax all over her side. I got the fur out of the way and the skin isn't even reddened. Thank goodness for thick winter fur! But now.. her side is covered in wax. :huh: Any suggestions on how to get the wax out of her fur?? I tried brushing, but now she just looks like she's a punk cat, i tried warm soapy water and that just made an angry cat.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:omg: Wonder if your could place a paper towel over the wax & iron him on a low setting. This works for fabrics/carpets :confused:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
:eek: Oh man, I figured it would end up with a bath. :( This is going to be traumatic for both of us. Crap, I hope I don't have to shave her. i don't have clippers. I wonder if I can find a groomer that'll shave her...

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek: Sounds like a two person job. How about a shave instead?:huh: I don't have cats, however I bet I'd resort to shaving. Wouldn't want her injesting the stuff when she washes her self with her tongue?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Glad she is okay! Jasmine did that once... but because she burned herself, we just had to shave the area to apply ointment. Good luck!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I just used some scissors and did my best to get the worst of the waxed fur trimmed off. My cat does not look well groomed, but at least she's not coated in wax now. I'm going to call a groomer tomorrow and see if I can get her groomed a bit better, but I didn't want her going to bed coated in it.

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
Glad she is doing ok. My cat got epoxy all over her once. We were coating our counter tops in epoxy and we locked all the dogs up for the night to avoid dog hair getting on them. Well we didnt think about the doggy door (seeing as all the dogs were in our room with us) the cat came in through it and decided to jump up on the counter. She quickly realized something wasnt right and jumped down ONTO MY WOOD FLOORS! I now have cat shaped epoxy prints permanently on my floors and the bottom of my coffee table. The cat had it all over her paws and butt. It was so close to her skin we couldn't even shave it right away. had to wait for it to grown out. She sounded like she had hooves for weeks.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
:lol: Poor Morgan. I checked out my vet's website and they've got grooming listed and what they offer. They do cats and they do lion cuts. Since she's an indoor kitty and I'd hate for her to spend the holidays with one side shaved and the other not.... guess who's going to be getting a lion cut? That'll learn her about tearing around the house!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Ingesting bees wax or even the semi opaque household wax will not hurt the bird. Like most animals, they just excrete it in their stool. Wax is non-toxic. Even if the bees wax had a scent added to it, the scent was burned off as a volitile gas when the candle burned.

I had a basset hound who ATE four two foot long scented candles. Suzie had no problems and the vet said wax is safe to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.