• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Scarlet Macaw to Eat Fresh Produce

Rainchaser

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Hi all,

I apologize if this topic or something similar has already been discussed, but I'm having some issues with getting my big mac to eat fruits and veggies. He's a 17 year-old re-home that I've had for a couple of weeks. He's eating pellets and nuts fine, and shows interest when I present him new fresh plant matter by hand. However, he'll take it, try it, and promptly discard the item. I've even tried eating the item in front of him (and making a big deal about how awesome said item is) but he just doesn't seem to acquire a taste.

Putting produce in a bowl? Forget it! It just sits there, or, if I'm really lucky, gets played with a little.

He says "Apple!" when presented with a new food item and the breeder indicated he did like apples. No such luck for me! I've repeatedly given him apples and they've been rejected.

I feed my ekkies a wide variety of organic produce daily, so I've been putting some in his dish and hoping to hit that "jackpot" item. I'm just worried that he may not be getting all of the nutrition he needs without the produce in his diet.

Does anyone have any tips? Is this just a case of watch and wait?

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Just keep trying. Maybe try putting some food on a skewer if he likes to play. Maybe try mixing some in with some brown rice. Or you can make birdie bread or chop. If you do a search on here, you'll find some recipes for both. It took a good 3 months of trying everyday before my rehomed cockatiel would eat vegetables. I currently have a rehomed cockatoo and so far the only vegetable I can get him to eat is corn on the cob. Not the best but it's a start. And it's been months. But I just keep trying.....

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Is he pretty tame and friendly with you? I'd keep trying everything you're already doing (variety or foods in a variety of presentations, eating and sharing) but I'd also try offering him warm, mushy food on your fingers or on a spoon. Mashed yams with a bit of nut butter, mashed banana and applesauce is something mine (green wing) eats everyday. Eat some of it yourself and offer to share only when she insists - you're playing hard to get here, just like a bird would do with a coveted item. If you can't stomach the yams, try some oatmeal or something similar. Mine also loves foods that are brightly colored - pomegranates are a big favorite this time of year. Corn on the cob is fun, and anything tied only the side of the cage or perch will eventually get played with and maybe even munched on. You're playing the long game here, so don't expect quick results. He may not yet recognize these things as food. Macaws tend to be great eaters though, in my very limited experience (my other bird is a cockatoo - she can hold out forever!!)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Have you tried eating healthy snacks in front of him like apples or carrots and offering him some while he watches you eat them?

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It does take patience's because most birds don't like anything unfamiliar to them. I rescued 2 macaws that had been raised on cheap walmart seed -my first successful attempt was organic peanut butter & coconut oil- mixed it in with anything new-also try feeding the items in the morning when they are more hungry..and don't over load the food dish that sits in the cage all day. Don't get discouraged when they suddenly decided they no longer like something that you have been successful in getting them to eat in the past-birds get bored so rotate the ingredients.