• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a Companion

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
We have had kiwi for a few months now and she still doesn’t like to be touched. So because of that I haven’t been able to give her the proper time she needs out of her cage. She always is trying to bite me. I thought maybe getting her a companion would help (she loves watching videos of other parakeets she comes down to where I am holding my phone and talk back to the bird). I worried that since she is so aggressive to me will she be aggressive to another bird. Is it a good idea for her to have a companion?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
It could be a good idea, but you have to remember that "companions" don't always share cages.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why do you think she does not like to be touched?

Can you quarantine a new budgie for 30 days?

That means you need a second cage.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
Whenever I put my hand by her or when I try to get her to step up or pet her she bites. I’m off from school in June till September so I can quarantine for the 30 days. I’m aware of needed a second cage and that would not be a problem.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So she doesn't like hands. That's okay, you can work around it.... I kind of think getting another bird will not solve the issue, I've done it and it doesn't always work out and they aren't always friends.

Do you have an outside perch for her to step on without you touching her? That'd be a good first step, then get millet and hold it near her. Move slowly, if she gets uncomfortable back off. Keep at this until eventually she eats some millet - now you are the Giver of Good Things. :D

I'm sure others have more suggestions. I have a parrotlet that does not like hands but he lands on me and will now go where I tell him to "perch", the above is how I started with him. Also if you haven't already, sit near your bird and read or talk or sing, without looking straight on at her.

How long have you had her? A few months is not long at all to a bird. Relationships have to be developed over time; whatever your doing she doesn't trust you yet.

@SquawksNibbles might have some ideas.

Reactions: LSA

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
JoJo took more time than supposed. He didn't like getting covered at night although it happened every night. Instead of quarantining another bird, I got him a different mirror with a bell. The change was fast and the difference unbelievable! Now he plays with the mirror then yells at me then plays with his other toys then allows me time. Another bird may distance the two of you even more.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Budgies just aren't birds that like being touched much by nature. A second budgie definitely won't make Kiwi want to be touched more, although she may enjoy having a friend.
If by "not liking to be touched" you mean that she doesn't like to step up or spend time with you, you probably just need more time to bond with her. Most tame budgies do learn to enjoy stepping up and spending time with people; some but definitely not all will also learn to like having their cheeks or neck scratched, but they just aren't exactly cuddly birds.
Female budgies can also be territorial and aggressive to other birds sometimes, so that is something to consider as well.