• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting 4 new babies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I know its a biggie, but i guess i was just lead astray in reseach i guess. Ok, so i guess the 2 i have now will go into the bedroom and the other 3 will go in the living room. :)

is it better to be vetted before or after quarantine is completed?

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
CONGRATS!! Can't wait to see them! :D

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Usually, I've done it ASAP, but how soon is soon depends on when you can get an appointment. I would just make sure to wash your hands really well going between rooms, some people change clothes too but I only did if birds were on me and the other group of birds was also likely to get on me.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Quarantine is important because regardless of initial health, the birds have microbes that their bodies are used to, but the other group of birds may not have been exposed to, which could cause sickness in either group. When we quarantined last, we were in a small one bedroom apt, we had the new bird (My tiel Ruby) in the bedroom, and the others in the living room. We got her vetted, so we knew she had no diseases (testing is SUPER important, people have lost birds to PDD and other diseases gone undetected when mixing flocks without vet check ups and disease testing) and then for three weeks kept her in the bedroom, changing her dishes in the bathroom and giving her flight time in the bedroom. It gives the birds time fir their systems to get used to the microbes in the air in the new environment without added stressors like getting along with flock mates. It's a big deal, seriously.
Usually, I've done it ASAP, but how soon is soon depends on when you can get an appointment. I would just make sure to wash your hands really well going between rooms, some people change clothes too but I only did if birds were on me and the other group of birds was also likely to get on me.
Excellent advice, people should always follow procedures for quarantining new birds. :thumbsup:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations on your new additions.. :) So glad your landlord is cool with it.. :)

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Its official. We are taking the 4 hour RT drive to get the babies this saturday! I have already been warned that the 2 females have been VERY hormonal and aggressive. I'm hoping the move will knock that out of them. I made a carrying crate for them out of a clear plastic tote. what do you guys think?

Attachments

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
First of all Congrats! I love tiels so much they are so sweet! :)

anyway in your tote your bringing them home: in put a towel in the bottom. Your perch is a bit high for babies, if they fall in the car its quite the drop.

As for housing these a 20x20 will NOT cut it. Its just too small. you need to have a cage where they can all open their wings at the same time without getting into each other's space.
Try something like this: 30"x30"parrot Bird birds Cage Cages perch stand wi3031 | eBay
its a 30x30 and I keep my 3 in there fine.
or else swing for a double flight cage: 16421 HQ Double Flight Bird Cage | eBay

Last edited:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
oh, they aren't baby birds, i just call them my babies. haha. this is only for transport. i didnt think about the towel. I will definitely put one in there. the cage they are going in is 3x3x2ish. I just dont feel safe driving such a long distance in a regular cage since its still a bit chilly here in upstate NY. But now, i found my stash of blankets and sheets, so i think i might just pack up the cage instead and use those to keep them warm... hmmm.... iyo, which would be better? a plastic tote or cage?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Oh yeah, so with quarantine, do i still have to keep it strict after their vet visit monday if everyone gets a clear bill? i remember someone mentioning that they wouldn't have needed quarantine if they were vetted. But they wont be til they come home.

I can see BF is developing a soft spot for 'tiels now. He offered to give me the $180 for the vet so they can get in asap. I had a choice of this coming monday, april 28th (which i can't take cuz its the day of my surgery consult, that i have waited 4 months for) and may 11th!!!! Soooo, i want to be sure everyone is healthy asap. :) I have been arranging and rearranging my rooms seeing who would fit better where. I'm soo excited. just 3 days til i bring them home.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
oh, they aren't baby birds, i just call them my babies. haha. this is only for transport. i didnt think about the towel. I will definitely put one in there. the cage they are going in is 3x3x2ish. I just dont feel safe driving such a long distance in a regular cage since its still a bit chilly here in upstate NY. But now, i found my stash of blankets and sheets, so i think i might just pack up the cage instead and use those to keep them warm... hmmm.... iyo, which would be better? a plastic tote or cage?
:) I understand they are all our babies! A tote would def be fine! It would help to keep out drafts and should something happen (hope not!) like an accident they would be much safer than being thrown against the bars of a cage. You can also use dog/cat kennels- the hard sided ones. That's what I use to move the birds if I have to.

Oh yeah, so with quarantine, do i still have to keep it strict after their vet visit monday if everyone gets a clear bill? i remember someone mentioning that they wouldn't have needed quarantine if they were vetted. But they wont be til they come home.

I can see BF is developing a soft spot for 'tiels now. He offered to give me the $180 for the vet so they can get in asap. I had a choice of this coming monday, april 28th (which i can't take cuz its the day of my surgery consult, that i have waited 4 months for) and may 11th!!!! Soooo, i want to be sure everyone is healthy asap. :) I have been arranging and rearranging my rooms seeing who would fit better where. I'm soo excited. just 3 days til i bring them home.
I think you should be careful going between your old birds and the new ones- wash hands, keep in seperate rooms unitl the Doc gives the all clear. That would be the best way in your situation. Ideally a true quarentine would be to have them completely isolated with seperate air spaces, but its not always possible to do this. (Just be warned a lot of avian diseases are transproted through the air) Heaven forbid though that they are sick! :) When you meet them look for discharge from eyes, nose, butt, etc. look at their beaks and feet and mention any bald areas you see.

I'm sure you'll do great though! :) Don't forget pictures though!!!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
leaving in 45 minutes to get my birdies! im so excited! :D will post pix the MINUTE i get home!

Status
Not open for further replies.