• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting 4 new babies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
4 new cockatiels are coming home within the next 2 weeks. :) really looking forward to it. hoping the landlord doesnt freak out. :/ 2 boys, 2 girls. 3 are normal greys and one whiteface.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If you are worried about the landlord freaking out, perhaps you should ask first? Congrats anyway though, hope to see photos.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
yes, im asking first. thats y i am hoping he doesnt freak out.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on the expansion of your flock! Very exciting...

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratz,I hope he will say yes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
update!!!!!
LANDLORD APPROVED!!!!!

soooooo beyond excited. So, i have been trying to not get attatched them, since i didnt know if i could get them or not... but now...
WOOHOOOO!!!!

now, just searching for cages...

any suggestions on spacing? 3 of them are used to being housed together. one is rather mean and was planning on housing her seperate for now (my Angelica!!) then i already have 2 here... I have one cage thats about 1.5ftwide, tall and deep. one thats about 2ftdeep x3x3

i'm thinking getting one thats about 2x2x3 for my 2 already home, put 3 in the large one and angelica in the smaller one... ugh, IDK!! help?

ugh, soooooo excited to bring them all home.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That is great! Be sure to post photos when you get them.

I think a double flight cage would be perfect: Budgie Cage You could house 3 together in one, and your 2 together in the other. And if you want to keep the one that is mean separate, put her (?) in the cage your 2 are in right now. Just a suggestion.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Congrats! Renae, where did you find that cage? I can't find a price/seller.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Congratulations!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Woot! found a cage for cheep! (lol)

20x20x36tall. powder coated. big door and separate door for food. Only $60. think i got a good deal? I'm throwing out all the perches and stuff, unless they are small enough to bleach and bake. Bringing the cage right into the basement of my building and washing it.

and guys, u seriously think i could resist taking pix of my new fabies when they come home?? AA needs to brace for impact when they come home!!! LOL gonna get FLOODED with pictures!

penguin

Avenue Veteran
We :heart: pictures, so go right ahead! Remember to quarantine!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Its so exciting to get a new flock member! My MBS is kicking in, but since we are a full house for now, Im gonna release that urge on you and your babes! Cant wait to see pics!!!!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
this may sound very dumb, but i thought quarantine was only required when the bird had come from a petshop/ breeder...

i wasnt aware i had to quarantine these guys since my 2 are healthy and hers are 2. she has had all of them together for about a year....

how do I quarantine in such a small apartment? ugh

Last edited:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
If they've been to the vet recently then I guess it's alright if you don't quarentine as long as you get a healthy check up note from a CAV. That's awesome! Congrats on your new fids, I bet you can't wait to bring them home!:) Yeah, bring on the pictures-hehe!

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Quarantine is important because regardless of initial health, the birds have microbes that their bodies are used to, but the other group of birds may not have been exposed to, which could cause sickness in either group. When we quarantined last, we were in a small one bedroom apt, we had the new bird (My tiel Ruby) in the bedroom, and the others in the living room. We got her vetted, so we knew she had no diseases (testing is SUPER important, people have lost birds to PDD and other diseases gone undetected when mixing flocks without vet check ups and disease testing) and then for three weeks kept her in the bedroom, changing her dishes in the bathroom and giving her flight time in the bedroom. It gives the birds time fir their systems to get used to the microbes in the air in the new environment without added stressors like getting along with flock mates. It's a big deal, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.