• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

General training questions

Payam

Moving in
Hello everyone.
I would really appreciate it if you could give me an advice on the following training questions.
1. On how many tricks i should work on the same time? I mean should i spend a week teaching one thing then move to the other or i can do one session on for example step up and next session on lie down?
2. My macaw doesn't pay attention in training, he kepps moving, finding things to play with, jumping on my hand as soon as he can. Any advice?
Thanks again for ur time
3.he learns tricks but he doesn't do it always on command. In fact he ignores me half the time im asking him to do something even though i know i understands.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Well, i would say train one trick at a time after he's learned the trick then move on to the next trick because too many tricks at once might confuse you're bird.
My max also had trouble with concentration at first but keep doing it and don't let him jump on to you're hand when he wants to, at training time.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I forgot to say, Welcome to AA how old is you're bird and his name?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1.) If you are just starting out, it's fine to work on one, maybe two tricks. If you ever get stuck on one trick, then skip it and train a new one. Revisit the "stuck" trick at a later date. The better your bird gets at learning a variety of tricks, the more you can incorporate into a training session

2.) It helps to work with birds when they are hungry. If they aren't hungry, then they may be less inclined to work.

3.) Sounds like the behavior is learned, but not learned on command. This will take additional training to get right.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
You need to find reinforcers he will work for. As Monica said, if he's full up, he'll be less inclined to work for food. So it's a good idea to have a many different reinforcers up your sleeve. I once paired a head scratch with a silly "beep" for Ollie one of my Amazons. Then used the "beep" as a reinforcer for cutting one of his toenails. Otherwise what food does your Macaw like best? What does he go for in the food bowl first? Then take these food item(s) out and use them as training treats only. That way they become special. Or try working just before breakfast when he's more food motivated. I saw a trainer once teaching a Grey to target using access to a coke bottle top as the reinforcer. This Grey was so interested in the bottle top. So you say your Macaw keeps "finding things to play with" - could you use brief access to these things as reinforcers?

Keep training sessions really short then he won't get bored. If you are teaching to step up, just try a few reps and stop WAY before he gets bored. Always end on a successful step. That way he'll be more willing to interact next time. Then move onto something else like playing with him. Then next session start a shaping plan to teach him to lie down.

When he knows how to do the whole trick, then you need to introduce a cue. Either visual or verbal. Introduce it as he does the trick, then gradually bring the cue in front of the behaviour so that it becomes a proper cue. For example if you are teaching him to turn a circle, you would start adding the cue (visual or verbal) whilst he is turning. That way the cue is paired with the behaviour. Then gradually bring the cue in front of the behaviour. That way he will learn what the cue means.

It is great to hear that your Macaw is so curious!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
From the looks of that avatar of yours, you seem to have bonded quite well. ;)
As mentioned above, try one trick at a time. :yes3:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:laugh: I work on lots of things at once. They get bored quickly so we spend five minutes on something and switch to something else if they are not into it. :)

How about "pick up" "drop it". Once you have that you should be able to put a ball in a cup. We used to have Maui pick up all his toys and put them away. :p