• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender my Tiels

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morten Kjeldgaard Christensen
Im just gonna throw in a new one since the old on died. I get the general feeling that people in my old thread were saying that my two tiels with boy names are girls. But i didnt get a specific answer like ''Issa girl!''
So im posting my two slo mo videos of their wings and my video of them chirping right here. if anyone needs more to help gender them, please tell me! The last thing i want is to have to get rid of incestious eggs and that! Not that they have any nest or possibility for nesting, i just dont wonna risk it !

Please also remember, If you dont know, That youtube can natively slow down the video to quarter speed aside the already slow video. I would really like som experts opinions!

Also tips on how to message people privately :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thanks for the bump, I assume you bump it to put it back at the top of the page.

I see you are an administrator. Is there anyway to private message someone on this site ?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for the bump, I assume you bump it to put it back at the top of the page.
Yes.

I see you are an administrator. Is there anyway to private message someone on this site ?
Yes there is. If you click on a member's avatar, a tab will appear. There are several options on the tab, including "Start a Conversation". If you click on that, it will begin a message with that member.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How old? Look like females so they can still have eggs just not fertile

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OH well not sure of sex but females can still have eggs without a male but not fertile

@Monica

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They look like girls to me but they are young yet. That’s what we were saying - it is early to know for sure. I *think a male* should have gotten more color on his face by now but on the other hand my white face male took a long time.

Do the wolf whistle? Do they sing? Do they make hearts with their wings, or peck on the bars of the cage?

What we (Or Monica really) were asking for is the underside of the wing, the bars under there will match the chart shown. Top of the wing doessn’t tell anything.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could both be females but one may be a male is my intuititon.

Get photos of the design of the barring under the tail feathers...that might help alot.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You won't get a definitive answer because they're only 3/4 months old and their adult feathering may not have come through yet. If you're really desperate to know now, you can get a DNA test - otherwise, wait a few months and see if their colouring changes.

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
thanks all for the input!

They look like girls to me but they are young yet. That’s what we were saying - it is early to know for sure. I *think a male* should have gotten more color on his face by now but on the other hand my white face male took a long time.

Do the wolf whistle? Do they sing? Do they make hearts with their wings, or peck on the bars of the cage?

What we (Or Monica really) were asking for is the underside of the wing, the bars under there will match the chart shown. Top of the wing doessn’t tell anything.
they just tweet, no real singing just what i would call smalle chitter chatter like in the video.
and yes, they both sometimes make hearts with their wings!
I just found someone here in denmark that does DNA-test from feathers for 80 DKK Per. test. Is that the legitimate way of testing ? And if yes, how do i most delicatly pluck feathers ?
I would prefer to get them gendered on here from you guys, because i hate plucking feathers on my tiels. I feel like its torture and i would be risking blood feathers and all that nasty business.

So i see how i feel about plucking feathers, if i cant get myself to do it i will wait untill they molt and then make a new post.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hugo, at minimum, appears to be male. Can't say for sure on Eigil.

Any chance you could get the 'heart wings' on video?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here is how to pluck and send the feathers. I did this with my caique, she screamed like I was killing her. LOL I paid $25 and had results in 3 days. You can't use molted feathers, it won't be accurate.

They're cockatiels, though -- if you wait you will know. Unless you're worried about them breeding?

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Unless you're worried about them breeding?
Not really worried about them breeding, they dont have a nest or anything even remotly close to a nest. They have 3 sticks, a swing and a rope play toy in their cage. That means i shouldnt be worried right ? I mean. They wont mate without a nest right ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Not really worried about them breeding, they dont have a nest or anything even remotly close to a nest. They have 3 sticks, a swing and a rope play toy in their cage. That means i shouldnt be worried right ? I mean. They wont mate without a nest right ?
Tiels still mate without a nest. The no nest just discourages actually laying eggs.... And they can still lay eggs without a nest....

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They are a bit young to breed now but could be a possibility before a molt....Not good idea but they could breed at a pretty young age.. You would just have to boil or freeze or replace the eggs with dummy eggs...

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiels still mate without a nest. The no nest just discourages actually laying eggs.... And they can still lay eggs without a nest....
So, Im planning on getting them DNA-tested through a spanish lab testing thingy i have seen on the interwebs, since i live in europe!
If, against expectation, i find out that my two tiels are of two differente genders, how do i discourage nesting/egg laying? Or is it easier/Easier on the birds and me, to just get one of them sterilized?

They are a bit young to breed now but could be a possibility before a molt....Not good idea but they could breed at a pretty young age.. You would just have to boil or freeze or replace the eggs with dummy eggs...
Any link or reference to a dummy egg? Or with the other option, Freeze/boil the egg and then put it back in their cage? Let them take care of an egg thats never gonna be anything ? When do i remove the egg? Not asking out of need, just curious :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think the sterilize birds that small. Frequently switching up the cage set up, not given them a nest box or anything they can use as a nest box can discourage egg laying. If they do lay, what @camelotshadow suggested is probably your best bet. I'll look for a link on dumb eggs.