• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCCs as apartment birds?

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
So in my research I've definitely read that they are known as good apartment birds; as far as parrots go they are on the quiet side, they don't make a lot of dust, and they wouldn't need as big of a cage as, say, macaw would, especially if they're getting time out of the cage every day.
Buuut, I've also read on here, tumblr, and other places around the internet that they are capable of shrieking at ear-piercing levels, just like any other parrot. I don't mind noise and would be happy to share a space with a GCC even if they are noisy, but if I were keeping them in an apartment, would the noise level be a problem for neighbors/landlord?
If anyone here lives in an apartment or other small and/or shared living space, I would especially like to hear from you, and your experiences!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never understood why GCCs are recommended as apartment birds -- conures are related to macaws, after all. All three of my conures shriek multiple times a day and would get me evicted from an apartment in the blink of an eye.

Solayan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
We live in an apartment with a GCC and haven't had any problems so far, although "birdy puberty" is starting to hit, so that might change. Our building is pretty well soundproofed, and we're a top floor corner unit, so the only place you can really hear him from when he's sounding off is the hallway. He can definitely be LOUD when he wants to, but we've never had a complaint. He's not loud at all after he goes to bed at 8:30, and I've found people tend to be most bothered by noise at night when they're trying to sleep.

I suppose it comes down to the right combination of bird and buliding. I found out the other week one of our neighbours on a lower floor has a gold crown and a jenday, so our soundproofing must be really good. :p

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
@JosienBB Okay wow :0 Thanks, that's good to know!

We live in an apartment with a GCC and haven't had any problems so far, although "birdy puberty" is starting to hit, so that might change. Our building is pretty well soundproofed, and we're a top floor corner unit, so the only place you can really hear him from when he's sounding off is the hallway. He can definitely be LOUD when he wants to, but we've never had a complaint. He's not loud at all after he goes to bed at 8:30, and I've found people tend to be most bothered by noise at night when they're trying to sleep.

I suppose it comes down to the right combination of bird and buliding. I found out the other week one of our neighbours on a lower floor has a gold crown and a jenday, so our soundproofing must be really good. :p
Thanks for the reply! When you moved into your apartment/got your GCC, did you have to go over it with your landlord? And does your apartment accept other pets like dogs and cats, or is it more strict? I'm guessing that how strict the apartment is would matter a lot!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My girlfriend has a GCC and has been in apartment with. Bird for 15 years. Not one problem.

Solayan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
There's lots of pets in my building! Mostly dogs and cats, but other birdies as well. There's a lady who frequently brings her tiel down to the lobby to visit with people.

We'd been in the building for over 7 years before we got Frodo, and didn't need to consult our landlord before we did. In the city we live in it's illegal for a landlord to forbid someone to have pets. I suspect they can cause you trouble if your pet causes damage to the property or noise complaints, but there's nothing they can do for just owning one.
I know they've been in for suite inspections and fire alarm testing since we got him and there's been no comment, so all is well (although I am a little curious what he thought of them).

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
There's lots of pets in my building! Mostly dogs and cats, but other birdies as well. There's a lady who frequently brings her tiel down to the lobby to visit with people.

We'd been in the building for over 7 years before we got Frodo, and didn't need to consult our landlord before we did. In the city we live in it's illegal for a landlord to forbid someone to have pets. I suspect they can cause you trouble if your pet causes damage to the property or noise complaints, but there's nothing they can do for just owning one.
I know they've been in for suite inspections and fire alarm testing since we got him and there's been no comment, so all is well (although I am a little curious what he thought of them).
Okay, apartments definitely seem to be more strict when it comes to pets where I live - but even then I'm not sure if that applies to all pets or just cats and dogs, which are the only pets I've seen specified. And I don't know how big your apartment is, but it works out just fine with your bird?

Solayan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
If you're not sure just ask your landlord. Better to be up front about it than to run into troubles later.

We have a large-ish 2 bedroom apartment, which is plenty of room for our little guy to fly around. We were really careful with the windows during his first few months with us (they're quite large), but now that he knows what they are he navigates them like a champ and loves his window perch. We also take him out into the hallway to fly sometimes (which I'd only recommend if you can do it safely with no fear of open doors/window, dogs etc.).

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
One other thing that we considered when choosing a species, besides noise level, was potential for destruction to the landlord's property. Our little greenie cannot possibly do the kind of damage that the bigger beaked avid chewers can -- sure he could likely chip away at wood and paint, but since he is always supervised when he is out, he gets shooed away from anything inappropriate he might be nibbling on. I can certainly understand a landlord wanting to forbid something like a large cockatoo from wreaking havoc on window sills and cabinets, but a wee bitty thing like a green cheek doesn't have that much beak power unless left unsupervised for a very long time.

(Same bird, other birdy slave in Frodo's household.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It was my green cheek (not my Hahns or my Quaker) that had the neighbor knocking on my door at my last place asking me if I could "keep it down". In another place, no one said a thing. It really comes down to the bird, the building you are in, and how tolerate people are. When I am living in apartments, I have my bird room on a timer from 9am to 9pm (or 10am to 10pm, etc) so that they go to bed before noise complaints really matter.

Of all of the birds' screams I've lived with, Koopa's dig right into my skull and lodge there. Volume wise, maybe my Hahns was louder. But the screeching...oh the screeching.

I've had my birds in places that do not allow dogs but allow cats, that allow dogs and cats, and when I was looking for a place recently, no one cared that I had a "small bird" but they wouldn't let me bring my cats. They seem to be less worried because they think of the traditional "locked in a cage all day" type animal. However, Koopa did do a number on the door frames in one place and I did lose some of my security deposit because of her. Again, the smallest bird gives me the most grief! :lol:

Here is one of Koopa's many terrible noises :p Luckily she only does this a few times a day now, but if she is upset she will literally do it for HOURS.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They also need more cage space than you'd think. I wouldn't house a green cheek in less than a flight cage (32" x 21"). As for dust, no they are not dusty birds, but most south american species aren't.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
My mom has a GCC and it can get loud throughout many parts of the day. Her guy makes much more noise than my BH pionus.

pinkyisblue

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Mochi would be the perfect apartment bird. She hardly makes a peep. Bandit on the other hand could wake the dead. It all depends on the bird really. Some are great others will drive you to drink.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
In my experience I do feel they are one of the more suitable species of bird for an apartment, like any bird though you need to expect some noise. I have 4 adults that live in outdoor aviaries and I rarely hear them vocalise. I have also had up to 10 youngsters indoors and they have never been a noise issue for us.
If you are planning on getting a GCCs as a pet go to a breeder that has flock raised their babies and ensures that they know how to play independently to reduce you bird becoming over dependant on you for all of it's attention and activities and make sure you don't create an over dependency as this is where a lot of screaming behaviour stems from. You may also want to consider getting two that have been raised together as they will be company for one another and will be less likely to scream for constant attention.

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
@CheekyBeaks What other species would you say are also more suitable for an apartment? I know that I need to expect noise, and I'm not too bothered by noise personally, I'm basically just looking for a bird that won't screech loud enough to go through walls and disturb neighbors - not often, at least. (;

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Most of the other species birds I have I wouldn't recommend in an apartment, while I don't have many noise issues I do know that if any of the other species developed a screaming issue they would probably cause issues. I would think a GCC would create enough noise to be a concern, but you should discuss with close neighbours to make they are comfortable with some bird noise. Also setting up natural sleeping patterns with your birds (up around sun up in the morning and in bed at dusk) and ensuring they have a quiet dark place to sleep you will eliminate any night time potential of noise.
You may like to look as some of the small grass parakeets like Rosa Bourkes @Stormcloud may be able to offer some advise on them in regard to noise. Also a female Cockatiel or female Princess parrot may also be suitable.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
;) My apartment has very thick walls and floors thankfully, as boy can they scream! I can hear Titus from up the street but thankfully my neighbours below and next door can't hear him.

witchbaby

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Luna gets a little chatty if there is music playing or water running, but other than that, she's pretty quiet. If something spooks her, she'll sound the alarm and that particular vocalization can get pretty loud, but it's so infrequent it's a non-issue. She's not very destructive either. Perfect for apartment living.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I've never understood why GCCs are recommended as apartment birds -- conures are related to macaws, after all. All three of my conures shriek multiple times a day and would get me evicted from an apartment in the blink of an eye.

Hmm have the macaw, ekkie and vasa in my apartment....gcc would be much quieter. The vasa by far is the quietest bird!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think it depends on your apartments, thickness of walls and your neighbors and landlord.

I lived in an apartment for 3 years with 4 cockatoos and a macaw and a few small bird.

Only one complaint and that was around the time I was moving. Boxes everywhere. Literally everything was a mess. My birds were stressed and did a lot of unusual screaming while I was at work.