• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Trying to Preen My Mouth?

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
Hey guys,

Some of you know I’ve recently adopted a GCC named Gracie. She is about 2-3 years old and I’ve noticed a new behavior I’d like to curb.

Normally she just sits on my arm or shoulder and just hangs out. She preens herself, preens my hair, and overall just stays cute.

Yesterday she crawled up he front of my shirt and preened (quite painfully) my neck before nuzzling into my hair which was fine but tonight she took it a bit further. She climbed my shirt, starting preening my neck, and then started trying to preen my lips and inside my mouth.

It kind of scared me so I flinched and she flew to the top of my head. When I had her step up on my arm she tried again and this time painful preened my bottom lip. I tried not to react but when I ask her to step up she nips at my hand until I almost have to scoop her up to discontinue the lip abuse.

How do I curb this? She is one determined little girl and I don’t feel she is being aggressive but all of her skin preening is quite painful.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I normally give a feedback noise instead of staying quiet, but without making any sudden movements. When Moony preens too hard I make a high-pitched sound/cheep that mimics what I notice my lovebirds do when they preen each other. Its meant to tell the preener to be gentle when they nip a pin feather too hard. He's normally a bit more gentle after that. But he doesn't nip my lip, although he's tried to preen around my eyes before.

Is your bird trying to feed you or engage in other type of beak-to-beak behavior?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
your saliva is toxic

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
I normally give a feedback noise instead of staying quiet, but without making any sudden movements. When Moony preens too hard I make a high-pitched sound/cheep that mimics what I notice my lovebirds do when they preen each other. Its meant to tell the preener to be gentle when they nip a pin feather too hard. He's normally a bit more gentle after that. But he doesn't nip my lip, although he's tried to preen around my eyes before.

Is your bird trying to feed you or engage in other type of beak-to-beak behavior?
So far no. She doesn’t regurgitate for me or anything like that. This is the first time she has done this so I will keep that in mind next time she is preening me too hard.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder