• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Sleeping Schedule Help

Aimee&Taco

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Aimee
Hi! New here and new to having a pet parrot! I got Taco 2 days ago from an experienced bird owner who just had too many birds in his home. Taco is about a year old and was previously hand-tame by his previous owner when he had him for 6 months.
Taco is a really sweet bird, fairly quiet when people are in his line of sight but when most of us (me, my mom and dad) leave the room he starts screaming for about 3 minutes and then stops. What does this behavior mean?
Besides that I've been training him to be less aggressive in his bites which I've been using the "earthquake" method just to get him a little unstable.
The thing I worry about most is that because my parents work late shift and come home at 11pm-12am at night. I'm worried they're going to wake him if I put him to bed at 10 when I go to sleep.
I know that most parrots need 10-12 hrs of sleep and that if my parents cover his cage at 2am then when I wake at 6 for school I'm going to disturb his beauty sleep.
The only room downstairs that no one goes into at night is the room right next to the garage which probably might be loud.
Please help!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:
Could you maybe get a sleep cage and put in a quiet room? You could also put him to sleep earlier. My GCC goes to sleep about 8:30.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Basically... time for bed (sunset) time to rise (sunrise) in a covered cage away from noise and light! Your current sleep schedule is going to lead to a cranky, irate, noisy, over stimulated parrot! :facepalm:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I agree that a separate room would be best with a sleep cage.
My three, including my GCC, go to bed around 8:30 pm and are up around 8:00-8:30 am.
It's really important they get a decent amount of sleep, so a sleep cage would be best. :)

Aimee&Taco

Real Name
Aimee
How would I get my bird to understand that a sleep cage is for sleep if I were to get one? He's very attatched to his cage right now. Last night I just rolled his cage into a room and closed the door.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
If the bird is put in there only for sleep, on a consistent schedule, they figure it out pretty quick.

Aimee&Taco

Real Name
Aimee
Okay thank you! I didn't get a sleep cage but I do roll his cage into a separate room and place a blanket over his cage at about 9pm and when I wake up at 9am I just roll him back out. I've also asked my parents to be more quiet.