• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Need Advice (Smelly Poo and Feather issues)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That's how I lost Zazu my 3 year old Cinnie Turq Greenie. She went for a routine blood draw got a hematoma and passed away. I was there for the whole thing she was holding perfectly still and it was a textbook perfect stick done by as certified of an Avian Vet you can have with 30 plus years experience and still I lost her to the risk of a blood draw. Various vets I've experienced certified and not over the years have said that any species Green Cheek or smaller has a much higher risk of having complications from blood draws because of their small size. So that maybe why he was hesitant to do the bloodwork and with the age being so young it's exactly what my vet told me since Zazu was only 3.
But if there is clearly an issue then it should be more strongly considered to try to do some more indepth investigating into the inner workings.
So sorry

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Firstly I was heartbroken reading this story. I can't even imagine what you must have felt.

While the avian vet I went to had mixed reviews and I had my own criticisms, I think I am going to have to be more understanding as to why he resisted bloodwork. Have to say I appreciate he didn't, now. I won't even mention bloodwork on my next appointment unless the vet does first.

What was pushed a little on me was a microchip, and I am starting to wonder if that might be a little invasive/intense for his tiny body as well. Whoever bred Meeko banded him poorly, so soon I need to look into band removal+replacement or microchipping.
I agree, microchip not a must, my vet also didn't chip birds smaller than a cockatiel unless owner ber really pushed for.
Depends on your thinking if will help if ever lost. Some endangered species require permanent identification tho closed bands are acceptable. But some who travel with birds or move want

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Blood scares me with any bird, it's not like they have a lot to begin with.

I had the bands removed from my amazons. After thinking of things that the band could snag on, it wasn't worth it. I decided not to chip because it was invasive and my birds were always kept inside (and back then were clipped). MC could be easily identified by his signature trick and Secret probably by sounds (and blood pouring from the human that had her).

By the way, beautiful little fellow in your pictures.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet did mention the microchips are really tiny now for smaller birds when I asked her about it. I'd considered microchipping since I had planned on harness training Pico back then but the harness training fell through so I don't plan on getting any of my birds chipped at all now

I also got the legband for Sonny removed since as Clueless mentioned the fear of it getting snagged on something plus I could tell it bothered him because he would bite at it sometimes (Pico had come to me unbanded which saved me like $30 or something for a band removal :laughing2:)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I had my GCC keg band removed, because it was a little to large and sometimes skipped over her hock and would swell ughh

Ash M Gon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Hi all - I waited FAR too long for this update and I apologize.

So good news - it looks like Meeko is a healthy bird. Smelly poop went away not long after I started this thread with a new batch of Harrisons pellets, and upon calling the vet AND Harrisons company, I found out that the diet change to pellets was most likely the culprit for the smell. It's normal and it went away so I'm confident she's healthy.

As for feathers: The molt has continued on, and it's a long one. Each new feather she gets looks amazing, even better than the original. She had large red bars that pointed to poor nutrition from her previous life that as of yesterday are now completely gone. However, the feathers blacken starting from the tips AFTER they grow in. I was informed that this is likely bronzing. There are no stress bars or black coloration when the feather grows in, only blackening as the feather ages.

Meeko is a GCC that plays constantly. She is always going under shirts, sheets, and getting handled, and so this is likely leading to the feather discoloration. There is slight evidence of feather chewing as well, but this has also grown less noticeable with time at her new home.

I wish her feathers could look perfect and beautiful like when we first got her. We are no longer letting her play in the bedsheets (both for her safety and our sanity), so hopefully that helps.

I've also heard that upon arriving to new homes, people notice their GCCs have feather discoloration upon first arriving. This is something I read in lots of older threads, so who knows?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Since she’s very active her long feathers might wear faster.
I’m glad she’s ok. Maybe the food change upset her tummy a bit? I’m fortunate that Willow really likes Harrison’s and Jasper will eat just about anything.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thanks for the update!