• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Need Advice (Smelly Poo and Feather issues)

Ash M Gon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Hey all - sorry for the long post. I wanted to provide as much info as possible, and I hope this is the right spot to post. I have lurked here since I was a young undergraduate in 2015, and have finally rescued a bird of my own as of March this year! Please meet Meeko (profile pic)

Question: Any thoughts/experiences with smelly poo and blackening feathers? Lots of details are below.
Meeko is an approx. 2 yo Turquoise yellow sided Green Cheek Conure (unsexed)

Lately I've noticed (issues):
1) Smelly poo I started noticing about 3 days ago, mostly in the big morning poo that disappears in the other poos during the day. It's a sour smell when it's there, kind of like yogurt.
2) Slightly smelly breath that smells the same, but super faint.
3) Heavy molt. He doesn't seem to be plucking, but on either side of his body (near legs and beneath wing) there's patches of grey down. He's molted out tail and flight feathers that are growing back too
4) Feather blackening since he's moved in. His feathers have lost some serious stress bars from before rescue during this molt, but they're not as nice as uniform as in that profile pic, now. His body feathers are patched with black. He does roughouse a lot in the bedsheets in the morning for cuddles, so maybe that's it?

Now for some considerations:
1) Already took Meeko to the vet 1 mo. ago just as part of a general health checkup. Negative for everything tested for, which included Giardia, Polyoma (and got the vaccine), Avian flu, PBFD, and Chlamydophila genus. Vet noticed Meeko was underweight (keelbone feel) at 66grams, and I got him/her to an average of 71 since then
2) Speaking of weight gain, I switched Meeko to Harrisons high potency fine 1-2 weeks ago, which helped with weight gain. Meeko gets veggies in morning, and pellets rest of day. I also give ethical red palm oil and some coconut oil as a treat
3) Baths. Not regular, but maybe every day (because he bathes himself) and a heavier bath every few days
4) Out of the cage almost all day (my fiance and I work from home); only in the cage when we're at the gym/going out

ATTEMPTED TREATMENT: For smelly poo issue, I've diluted Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs w/ the mother) in his ice water (Meeko insists on it being iced :rolleyes: ) with HealthyGut Avian Probiotics in pellets (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KSMOWM6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details).

Final notes:
Now I am willing to go to the vet again, but I'm going to be real with you all here: I JUST went and spent 1K and I am on a grad student budget. I have also been told when I called Harrisons that the smell could be normal with the diet switchover to pellets. I'm traveling soon so starting this little one on meds while he's boarding also worries me.

Thanks in advance for any input/ideas. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Maybe I just need reassurance that Meeko is probably okay or maybe there's something else I need to do before I speak to a vet

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Might be a yeast infection? That's what tests revealed in JoeJoe (Amazon) just before he came to live with me. Like Meeko, his first morning poop was a bit smelly and his breath a little sour. I think your attempted treatment is bang on - that's what I was advised by the avian vet in England. Also suggested was to keep sugar in the diet to a minimum ie. dried and fresh fruits since sugar feeds yeast. JoeJoe's breath still smells a little sour. I have an elderly Amazon, Chico who has constantly smelly poops. I have been to the vet loads of times with him. He's been on antibiotics to no avail; they tested his poop which showed nothing abnormal, however there are no avian vets here. They said it was probably his age - he's about 59 years old. Probiotics does make it a lot better, so that's always in his water (changed twice a day). I found too that eggs (scrambled eggs) make it worse so I don't feed them to him any longer.

Feathers blackening - you mean on the edges as well as patches? With some birds handling them a lot can cause this - it's the oils in the human's hands. Kobe (Pionus) gets this if I handle him a lot - I try to make sure my hands are clean before touching him. So yes, I would certainly guess it's roughousing in the bedsheets and morning cuddles that are blackening the feathers. :)

Hope someone else can help too.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If bird poop smells, that’s a problem. I mean I understand that the giant morning poop might smell a bit, but it seems like he’s got an overgrowth of something. Bird poop shouldn’t smell much.
Harrison’s high potency is a good way to get extra fat and protein into your little guy.
The ACV treatment is a good idea and has actually been proven to be helpful. I’m glad you’re doing that.
My Quaker has feather blackening from petting, too.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi, it's helpful to provide pics of feathers, serves as an example thst might help other's too, makes it easier to track changes to come back to as molts take a long time for you then to see the difference in new better pics.

My first thought would be yeast overgrowth. My GCC had this once, and she lost weight and smelled yeasty. Took a second opinion different vet to get this confirmed and treated. With Nystatin. But also feeding her Greek yogurt plain and no artificial sweetener,with live cultures one if which needs to be acidophilus. I offered from fingers, first offer touched yogurt to beak tip, then waited , then they often will love and lick off. All of my GCC, quakers, and budgies will lick up yogurt.

How I do when on antibiotics, or suspect yeast, or concurrent with known yeast overgrowth. About half a teaspoon daily even twice daily for a week, ( or during course of antibiotics) then every other day for a week , then spread twice during week 3, then I do randomly as part of my flock health maybe once every other month or so.

On the palm oil, it's very high in vitamin A, in my own opinion the risk of toxicity overdose of vitamin A this way it to high. I have no need ever to use it. My avain vet is against it, but avain vets opinion vary on this. I suggest you stop offering it

Instead offer veggies like romaine lettuce, bell peppers especially yellow, orange and red and other peppers, ever dried . Cooked carrots make amore bio available, cooked sweet potato. But remember your pellets also have complete level of vitamin A. But they aren't going to overdose on natural components in fresh veggies the body knows how to self regulation of this . So you can offer them every day.

I stand apart from many other's on the opinion of bronzing and dark feathers. It isn't from over petting, and I feel is linked to health, or not molts regularly.
This is different from feathers that get messed up, damaged , from bumping or roughed yo in something in the cage that does happen , especially in young ones, or to crowed it small cages but it also looks different than bronzing.
I'm home all day , and I've got my hands on my birds give cuddles and pets hours a day! I have zero bronzing!

Molts take a lot out of a bird, you can research this , plenty of scientific articles. It can take double to five times the base calories, there is blood and organ changes thst happen during molt, feathers make up , I think 25% of a birds mass, and feathers are made up of protein. So a small bump in protein is needed. I like some of that to come from animal protein, like boiled or scrambled egg, a tiny amount boiled chicken, others msy use fish like cooked salmon. As well I offer walnuts they are a great beneficial nut, fir people too. Or a few nuts of you your birds choice. Cooked legumes. And I bump up seeds just prior to molts. Some seeds should still be part of your birds diet , even if pellets are the main diet. 10% of daily diet seems the conscience in my reading. Fine to just use fir foraging or treats, at the end of the day works best for me , so veggies and pellets remain the main diet and eaten first.

When I made those changes above, my parrots molt quicker, they never ever , ever, look scruffy during a molt, infact you only know they are molt because of found feathers and occasionally seeing pins in head. They never have bronzing or dark edges. They look lush and sleek year round .

In addition, tho, I try to get them outside when I can. In ligt shade, they don't need to be rushed by stuck in full sun , to get the benefit from the sunshine vitamin. I secure everything in cage , including bottom tray, till it outside and never leave them alone . They get do radiant when they get time outside.

Getting everything checked by vet is ideal. As chronic kidney, or liver issues/ infection can be possible.

I use large shallow serving dishes with no more than 2 inches of water ( for our size birds) as free choice always available baths. My GCC takes one every day , thst could just be her personal choice, but my past gcc took one nearly every day herself. The quakers vary , once it ywi e a week seems their free choice preference.

Gcc, seem to prefer some softer chew choices. While it's great to still offer harder ones for sure. But you want to be e tons of stuff they can chomp easy! @Mizzely sells the best GCC toys in this world! I highly recommend getting done if her toys ! Incase yours is spending to much time over preening. Now GCC preen tons, never discourage preening or worry that they always preen after getting out with you thst normal! But offer to s of stuff for them to destroy and be happy.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ooooo :laugh: thst was longer than expected! Lol
But covers it I think!!

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
Might be a yeast infection? That's what tests revealed in JoeJoe (Amazon) just before he came to live with me. Like Meeko, his first morning poop was a bit smelly and his breath a little sour. I think your attempted treatment is bang on - that's what I was advised by the avian vet in England. Also suggested was to keep sugar in the diet to a minimum ie. dried and fresh fruits since sugar feeds yeast. JoeJoe's breath still smells a little sour. I have an elderly Amazon, Chico who has constantly smelly poops. I have been to the vet loads of times with him. He's been on antibiotics to no avail; they tested his poop which showed nothing abnormal, however there are no avian vets here. They said it was probably his age - he's about 59 years old. Probiotics does make it a lot better, so that's always in his water (changed twice a day). I found too that eggs (scrambled eggs) make it worse so I don't feed them to him any longer.

Feathers blackening - you mean on the edges as well as patches? With some birds handling them a lot can cause this - it's the oils in the human's hands. Kobe (Pionus) gets this if I handle him a lot - I try to make sure my hands are clean before touching him. So yes, I would certainly guess it's roughousing in the bedsheets and morning cuddles that are blackening the feathers. :)

Hope someone else can help too.
Hi Fuzzy - thanks for the input! So many posts make the smells sound like a big emergency (and it often is) so I was freaking out a little bit. With Meeko being negative for giardia and otherwise being very spunky I was trying to keep calm. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this - and will keep you posted if there are new developments and if this stops. Poo was stinky again this morning but it's not completely scent-free as usual. Hope it improves tomorrow

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
If bird poop smells, that’s a problem. I mean I understand that the giant morning poop might smell a bit, but it seems like he’s got an overgrowth of something. Bird poop shouldn’t smell much.
Harrison’s high potency is a good way to get extra fat and protein into your little guy.
The ACV treatment is a good idea and has actually been proven to be helpful. I’m glad you’re doing that.
My Quaker has feather blackening from petting, too.
Right something is overgrowing in there - Fuzzy suggested yeast and it sounds like that may be it. Meeko is in a BIG molt right now, and I've read their little immune systems get a bit stressed during this time, so that might also be contributing

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
Hi, it's helpful to provide pics of feathers, serves as an example thst might help other's too, makes it easier to track changes to come back to as molts take a long time for you then to see the difference in new better pics.
Firstly, thank you so much for that thorough response. I love this community.

As for your advice, it was so helpful. I definitely need to give Meeko more sunlight, and with all the work I do on the computer, it would probably be beneficial for me to join him myself. I'm going to ditch the red palm oil since he's on Harrisons and also eats plenty of bell peppers EVERY morning (Meeko's fav veggie). The whole reason I was supplementing red palm oil was for vitamin A (since he's molting) but I'm likely overdoing it!

After I travel, I'm going to get this one to another avian vet to have blood tested and to get some more opinions.

Here are some photos of Meeko during this big molt. Don't worry, he got none of the coffee, he just likes to lick the condensation. Those blackened feathers are old, and those greener feathers on the wing are the newly molted ones. There's that patch of down that's typically hidden under the wing (near the leg) in the last pic.

Just makes me sad to see this when compared to the beautiful turquoise of his old pic.

12Aug2023_back.jpg 12Aug2023_back2.jpg 12Aug2023_Down.jpg

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
And here 's an old photo for reference!
Oh and EDIT: Definitely going to check out those toys - I read your whole message and didn't get to address everything but I took notes!

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Firstly, thank you so much for that thorough response. I love this community.

As for your advice, it was so helpful. I definitely need to give Meeko more sunlight, and with all the work I do on the computer, it would probably be beneficial for me to join him myself. I'm going to ditch the red palm oil since he's on Harrisons and also eats plenty of bell peppers EVERY morning (Meeko's fav veggie). The whole reason I was supplementing red palm oil was for vitamin A (since he's molting) but I'm likely overdoing it!

After I travel, I'm going to get this one to another avian vet to have blood tested and to get some more opinions.

Here are some photos of Meeko during this big molt. Don't worry, he got none of the coffee, he just likes to lick the condensation. Those blackened feathers are old, and those greener feathers on the wing are the newly molted ones. There's that patch of down that's typically hidden under the wing (near the leg) in the last pic.

Just makes me sad to see this when compared to the beautiful turquoise of his old pic.

View attachment 433138 View attachment 433139 View attachment 433140
Those are very black! Not normal.
Keep us updated

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have much else to add but I just wanted to chime in to say first Meeko is a cutie but also I agree with @Pixiebeak 's opinion on dark/black feathers not being the same as normal bronzing or wear and tear. One of my birds absolutely loves being on his back playing in and out of his cage and they both love pets and cuddles but their feathers aren't dark at all.

My vet had also mentioned to me as precaution during my first general checkup for Pico (his baby feathers were a bit roughed up before his first molt) that if I see any dark feathers then it may indicate a liver problem and she told me to watch for it so we could get more through testing in case. It didn't end up becoming an issue for us but I did still get blood tests done for my birds since I read it was recommended to get a baseline.

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
I don't have much else to add but I just wanted to chime in to say first Meeko is a cutie but also I agree with @Pixiebeak 's opinion on dark/black feathers not being the same as normal bronzing or wear and tear. One of my birds absolutely loves being on his back playing in and out of his cage and they both love pets and cuddles but their feathers aren't dark at all.

My vet had also mentioned to me as precaution during my first general checkup for Pico (his baby feathers were a bit roughed up before his first molt) that if I see any dark feathers then it may indicate a liver problem and she told me to watch for it so we could get more through testing in case. It didn't end up becoming an issue for us but I did still get blood tests done for my birds since I read it was recommended to get a baseline.
Yes so reading these replies I am in agreement here. I am starting to get a bit annoyed at my vet as well now that I am talking to all of you - because when I did Meeko's first checkup (as he was a rescue with no known med history) I explicitly asked for bloodwork to get a baseline and the vet said it wasn't necessary, that with the bird being so young (rescue told me 2 years) that any long term effects from his former home + poor nutrition were unlikely given his age. I explicitly cited concerns about Meeko's liver because the dude had a seed-only diet before coming to my home.

I pointed out the blackening feathers to the vet as well when I visited a month or so ago, and I even showed a before and after, and he said there was no way to know if it was due to a health issue unless they regrew with this molt looking worse.

Granted, the feathers coming in don't have any stress bars thankfully, and I AM seeing improvement with the molt. They're coming in more vivid, and lack the black, but goodness - wouldn't bloodwork be a guaranteed way to know?

The vet also overcharged me for everything (hence the 1K bill) so I have already been considering a different avian vet to begin with. I also had to call the testing center directly for Meeko's test results, as no matter how many times I called the vet's office, I wasn't getting my results from the vet.

So anyway...poo is still stinky as of this morning, and I have to travel in a few dats for a close family wedding so I can't start medication now (not sure I trust the boarding facility with his meds, although they're a very reputable place) but I will continue to monitor and keep you all posted. When I return from my trip I'll get Meeko some bloodwork ASAP

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Well , little ones like gcc conures , some vets don't take blood unless active sick as they are so little. My past avain vet didn't to routine blood work on GCC and smaller size birds.

Also there is conure bleeding syndrome....I really don't hear about it anymore....but many years ago when I got my first conure it was a thing , so ....

If all new feathers are coming in good , then yay! !

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes so reading these replies I am in agreement here. I am starting to get a bit annoyed at my vet as well now that I am talking to all of you - because when I did Meeko's first checkup (as he was a rescue with no known med history) I explicitly asked for bloodwork to get a baseline and the vet said it wasn't necessary, that with the bird being so young (rescue told me 2 years) that any long term effects from his former home + poor nutrition were unlikely given his age. I explicitly cited concerns about Meeko's liver because the dude had a seed-only diet before coming to my home.

I pointed out the blackening feathers to the vet as well when I visited a month or so ago, and I even showed a before and after, and he said there was no way to know if it was due to a health issue unless they regrew with this molt looking worse.

Granted, the feathers coming in don't have any stress bars thankfully, and I AM seeing improvement with the molt. They're coming in more vivid, and lack the black, but goodness - wouldn't bloodwork be a guaranteed way to know?

The vet also overcharged me for everything (hence the 1K bill) so I have already been considering a different avian vet to begin with. I also had to call the testing center directly for Meeko's test results, as no matter how many times I called the vet's office, I wasn't getting my results from the vet.

So anyway...poo is still stinky as of this morning, and I have to travel in a few dats for a close family wedding so I can't start medication now (not sure I trust the boarding facility with his meds, although they're a very reputable place) but I will continue to monitor and keep you all posted. When I return from my trip I'll get Meeko some bloodwork ASAP
I also asked my AV if they anesthetize for blood draws since I've heard about the risk that comes with that too and luckily my vet doesn't so that might also be a consideration for you if you decide to go for a blood test.

If Meeko was on an all seed diet that might explain the black feathers being due to excess fat. I'm so glad to hear the new feathers are coming in nicely!

I agree it's weird that you had to call the testing centre directly for results... :bored:
I got my results emailed to me by the vet's office and they told me to call in to discuss the results with my vet which I did.

But I hope you have a good time on your trip and I'll look forward to hearing more updates for Meeko :D

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I stand apart from many other's on the opinion of bronzing and dark feathers. It isn't from over petting, and I feel is linked to health, or not molts regularly.
I would agree with this i have never seen bronzing or feather issues on my conure that is tactile her feathers are in as good a condition as my conure that doesn't want to do hands, molts take a lot out of birds and a good diet will help increasing protein and calcium especially.
Seeds get a bad rep as they are high in fat however active birds such as conures IMO need some seed in their diet both of mine get seed in foraging boxes daily and seed in Nutriberrie's.

Don't be hung up on the weight of your bird 66 gram whilst might be the lower weight for a turquoise conure a stable weight is the way to go have you checked your birds keel bone to identify if its over or under weight ?

I personally have never supplemented my birds diet's with anything i just give them a good variety of fresh food, roudybush pellets available all day and seed offered in foraging boxes or whilst training, i transitioned both of my conures onto pellets using Harrisons high potency pepper however they quality of the pellets after opening wasn't good after a couple of week's and there was never a chance of my girls eating a bag within the time Harrisons say the food needs to be consumed after opening.

Fresh food wise my two get a selection of the following - Bell peppers,chillis,carrots,sweet peas,mange tout,brocolli,cauliflower,aubergine,coriander,parsley,rosemarry romaine lettuce i spend more money on fresh food than i do on pellets etc. i throw everything at them fresh food wise that i can, i do keep my fresh food in there cages longer than i used to as i don't offer chop i offer Not Chop.

both of my girls are going through a molt at the moment and you wouldnt know looking at them just flights and floofs on the floor give the game away,

I really do believe getting birds outside when possible is good for both there feathers and just there general well being have always taken mine out into the garden ( unable to now due to the regulations in the UK for avian flu ) however not seen a difference in there feather condition.

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
Well , little ones like gcc conures , some vets don't take blood unless active sick as they are so little. My past avain vet didn't to routine blood work on GCC and smaller size birds.

Also there is conure bleeding syndrome....I really don't hear about it anymore....but many years ago when I got my first conure it was a thing , so ....

Oh I have never heard of conure bleeding syndrome! That is great to know. If bloodwork put Meeko at unnecessary risk then perhaps it's good the vet didn't perform it. I'll get a second opinion soon as there are plenty of avian vets where I live (thankfully)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

That's how I lost Zazu my 3 year old Cinnie Turq Greenie. She went for a routine blood draw got a hematoma and passed away. I was there for the whole thing she was holding perfectly still and it was a textbook perfect stick done by as certified of an Avian Vet you can have with 30 plus years experience and still I lost her to the risk of a blood draw. Various vets I've experienced certified and not over the years have said that any species Green Cheek or smaller has a much higher risk of having complications from blood draws because of their small size. So that maybe why he was hesitant to do the bloodwork and with the age being so young it's exactly what my vet told me since Zazu was only 3.
But if there is clearly an issue then it should be more strongly considered to try to do some more indepth investigating into the inner workings.

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
I would agree with this i have never seen bronzing or feather issues on my conure that is tactile her feathers are in as good a condition as my conure that doesn't want to do hands, molts take a lot out of birds and a good diet will help increasing protein and calcium especially.
Seeds get a bad rep as they are high in fat however active birds such as conures IMO need some seed in their diet both of mine get seed in foraging boxes daily and seed in Nutriberrie's.

Don't be hung up on the weight of your bird 66 gram whilst might be the lower weight for a turquoise conure a stable weight is the way to go have you checked your birds keel bone to identify if its over or under weight ?

I personally have never supplemented my birds diet's with anything i just give them a good variety of fresh food, roudybush pellets available all day and seed offered in foraging boxes or whilst training, i transitioned both of my conures onto pellets using Harrisons high potency pepper however they quality of the pellets after opening wasn't good after a couple of week's and there was never a chance of my girls eating a bag within the time Harrisons say the food needs to be consumed after opening.

Fresh food wise my two get a selection of the following - Bell peppers,chillis,carrots,sweet peas,mange tout,brocolli,cauliflower,aubergine,coriander,parsley,rosemarry romaine lettuce i spend more money on fresh food than i do on pellets etc. i throw everything at them fresh food wise that i can, i do keep my fresh food in there cages longer than i used to as i don't offer chop i offer Not Chop.

both of my girls are going through a molt at the moment and you wouldnt know looking at them just flights and floofs on the floor give the game away,

I really do believe getting birds outside when possible is good for both there feathers and just there general well being have always taken mine out into the garden ( unable to now due to the regulations in the UK for avian flu ) however not seen a difference in there feather condition.
Agree with the seeds argument you made. I limit them but don't eliminate completely (esp after the vet said he needed some more fat on him). To help with weight gain, I do occasionally allow Meeko to indulge in a millet spray and that seems to help along with the Harrisons high potency. (chop in the morning also with lots of the veggies you mentioned! <3)

As for the keelbone, vet showed me Meeko was underweight when I rescued him by letting me feel the keel. I have been gently monitoring it since (in spite of Meeko's wiggly protests) and have noticed the keel has normalized since he's gone on Harrisons and off the seed diet. Keel is less sharp, and more level with his tummy, now.

Interesting that the molt isn't noticeable on your birds. My fiance is speculating that Meeko's intense molt might be due to the rescue itself, to the large influx of exercise and nutrition in his life. Perhaps his body was holding off on the molt due to stress and poor nutrition. In Meeko's old tail feathers, there were vivid, thick, orange stress bars. It was heartbreaking. New ones are sleek and stress-bar free.

Ash M Gon

Avenue Veteran
That's how I lost Zazu my 3 year old Cinnie Turq Greenie. She went for a routine blood draw got a hematoma and passed away. I was there for the whole thing she was holding perfectly still and it was a textbook perfect stick done by as certified of an Avian Vet you can have with 30 plus years experience and still I lost her to the risk of a blood draw. Various vets I've experienced certified and not over the years have said that any species Green Cheek or smaller has a much higher risk of having complications from blood draws because of their small size. So that maybe why he was hesitant to do the bloodwork and with the age being so young it's exactly what my vet told me since Zazu was only 3.
But if there is clearly an issue then it should be more strongly considered to try to do some more indepth investigating into the inner workings.
Firstly I was heartbroken reading this story. I can't even imagine what you must have felt.

While the avian vet I went to had mixed reviews and I had my own criticisms, I think I am going to have to be more understanding as to why he resisted bloodwork. Have to say I appreciate he didn't, now. I won't even mention bloodwork on my next appointment unless the vet does first.

What was pushed a little on me was a microchip, and I am starting to wonder if that might be a little invasive/intense for his tiny body as well. Whoever bred Meeko banded him poorly, so soon I need to look into band removal+replacement or microchipping.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Firstly I was heartbroken reading this story. I can't even imagine what you must have felt.

While the avian vet I went to had mixed reviews and I had my own criticisms, I think I am going to have to be more understanding as to why he resisted bloodwork. Have to say I appreciate he didn't, now. I won't even mention bloodwork on my next appointment unless the vet does first.

What was pushed a little on me was a microchip, and I am starting to wonder if that might be a little invasive/intense for his tiny body as well. Whoever bred Meeko banded him poorly, so soon I need to look into band removal+replacement or microchipping.
Thank you,it's only been 2 years but the pain is still there every day. So many times I've wished I could change the past and had never asked for bloodwork. I was just trying to be a good owner and get all the bases covered which wasn't wrong of course but me being overly paranoid about her health cost me her and I'll always regret that to my dying days.

It's definitely not wrong to ask and advocate for bloodwork if there's a reason that you suspect something internal is wrong so that was completely valid to ask the vet to do.

That's interesting to me about the microchip many vets I've heard in person and from others on here won't microchip anything Green Cheek or smaller same like with bloodwork since they just straddle that fine line of being a shade to small unfortunately. But I have heard of Greenies that were microchipped and everything was completely fine with no issues so it mostly comes down to what you and your vet are comfortable with after having a conversation about the pros and cons.