• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gcc biting problem

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had a few more days to look at this and here is what I see. Part of the biting may be an expression of jealousy. Now, he never bites hard, and he never really squawks when he does it, but I notice it happens a lot after I feed the younger bird. Nibbles, the one who I'm working with the biting on, has a cage in the family room. Every morning, like I did with him, I bring the little one out to be hand fed. He watches while I do this, and if I bring him out of his cage right after, then he's really after my ear. If I do it a few hours later, he's fine. I've tried to introduce him to the little one, and he wants nothing to do with it at all. He tries to get as far away as possible. The chick is 6 weeks old, one the verge of weaning and will soon be going to a new home, but I do try to spend an equal amount of time with them both during the day. One as a pet, and the other to learn basics skills and socialization with people. I noticed a new odd behavior this morning when I tried to redirect his attention. He was on my shoulder and I pulled an almond out for him. When I presented it to him, he stuck part of it in his beak, and then made the pumping motion that the little one does while I'm feeding him with a syringe. He's obviously observing our interaction during feeding times, so I think I'll try it out of his line of sight from now on and see if that makes a difference. I also understand I have a piercing in my left ear that's right at the level of his face when he's on my shoulder. It's like having a bright shiny object in front of a child. Of course it's going to get his attention. I expect the chick will be leaving in 2 weeks or so, and then we'll see how the behavior is. The chick bites too, but we're talking about a 6 week old who is learning to eat solid food, compared to a bird that's most 6 months old. Like I said before - it's a work in progress and learning experience for both of us.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
if you tell him loudly to STOP or DONT!!!
he will fly above cupboards and starts screaming to show he is angry!!!!

the only problem remains that i can not catch him!!! he flies away or around the house to run away from me !!!
specially since few days ago he goes under dining table right in the middle so that i cant reach him !!!!!

Tell him in a firm and displeased voice not a loud voice. The tone of your voice will speak volumes to him.

You need to stop chasing him, This is classic prey and predator behaviour. Train him to come to you.

cmvuyovich

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cherish
I have the same exact problem with my 10 month old GCC. He is a sweetie, and loves me, is always wanting to snuggle me and be with me. But he bites constantly. It's not aggressive, I don't feel like he's doing it other than just to "chew". I tell him no and constantly am putting him on his perch, but he immediately comes back to me, snuggles me, then proceeds to bite wherever he can. After this constant back & forth of putting him down, he will eventually just sit near me and make his happy singing sounds, usually on one foot. I'm just confused. I know that this takes time, but I've had him for 6 months. He's not let up at all. Again, I've never felt he's being aggressive, he loves for me to pet him and will even lay on his back on my chest to snuggle me, but he's biting me constantly about 80% of the time, like it's his favorite game to play. Is this a conure thing? Is it an age thing...like can he outgrow some of this? Or is this a behavior I'm just going to have to find a way to break?