• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Galah needs urgent care until EOM vet appointment

Rubysland

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
I have a 25 year old rose-breasted cockatoo named Ruby. I've had her since she was 18 months old. I took her to a person to get her toenails clipped, yesterday, and found out she has some kind of infection, possibly yeast, on both feet. One is worse than another. I live in a rural area without transportation and with limited care for birds. There is one place that will see birds for non-emergency situations. They won't see Ruby for this. Luckily, I have a friend with connections who knows a retired veterinarian who can, and will, treat cockatoos. That person will see Ruby the 30th of August. That's the soonest available appointment, but I'm also on the cancelation list in case something comes up before then.

I'm looking for advice to keep this infection at bay until my Ruby can be seen and treated. In the research I've done, I believe Ruby has bumble foot. I'm not sure if she's overweight, although it's likely because she hasn't been as physically active as she used to be. She's not lethargic or anything like that. She eats well and doesn't have any visible changes in droppings. I have used Neosporin spray with pain relief on her foot about three times in 2 weeks (which is when I noticed one foot was slightly raw). I've padded her perches with foam and a sports bandage. She is not chewing on them, but even if she did, I know she won't swallow any of it because she's had foam toys before under supervision. Also, Ruby does have a variety of perches: not dowels.

I read that hydrogen peroxide can kill yeast infections as well as some viruses and bacteria. Can it be used as a wound cleaner on a cockatoo? I know peroxide breaks down into water pretty quickly, so it seems like it would be safe to use. If not, I plan to use Saline, at least, to clean her wounds daily. I also have a Chlorhexidine gluconate antiseptic and antifungal spray in my pet first aid kit. Is this a better alternative (or addition) to peroxide and/or Saline? Additionally, I have an antibiotic: Tylan (powdered) from when another one of my birds was sick. I know how to mix it up and how to determine the dosage for Ruby if needed. Obviously, idk if she has a fungal infection, virus or bacterial infection. But, from what I read about bumble foot, it usually tends to be bacterial. So, should I start giving her the oral antibiotic until her appointment? Or just clean out the wound? And, can I safely use Neosporin at least once a day after cleansing her wound?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do NOT want this to get any worse than it is. Oh, and from pictures and written descriptions of bumble foot, it looks like she is at stage 2. Two weeks ago, it was at stage 1 because the worst of her two feet was raw without any cuts. She now has lesions on both feet and a little swelling. I simply want to prevent this from progression until she's seen.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Birdbabe ?

Can you post pics of her feet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please don't use hydrogen peroxide on her - anywhere really - it can and does burn the tissue. Clean with soap and water, rinse well and put a thin coat of triple antibiotic salve (without the pain killer, because she will chew on it). Keep her perches immaculately clean so she cannot get reinfected over and over.

I'm sure the Dr. will give you antibiotics so I wouldn't use the one you have - it may not even be effective against the bacteria she has.

Rubysland

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
Thank you for letting me know about the peroxide. I appreciate it. And, I'll attempt to clean her feet with soap and water. I've been blessed to have very healthy birds, so I'm not used to handling them in a ways to treat injuries or to administer meds. I had to have a vet show me how to give my dove antibiotics when he needed them (that's who the meds were for previously). I awkwardly rinsed Ruby's feet with Saline after getting her to calm down while in a towel (she was NOT a happy camper!). I'm not sure how successful I will be with soap and water, but time will tell. For some reason, I didn't even think about plain soap and water. Lol However, I'm sure that will be the best option to keep this at bay.

I keep all my bird's perches clean by wiping them down with vinegar and water on a regular basis. Should I use Peroxide on Ruby's, instead, to prevent reinfection? It would be better at killing germs than vinegar.

I promise I'm not obsessed with peroxide; I rarely use it honestly. But I know it's quite affective at killing bacteria etc. Obviously, Ruby isn't in her cage when I am cleaning the perches, and they are dry before she uses them again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner