• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gagging

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Another thread raised a question for me ... When I am scrunching "feather cases" off and get into a good head massage, my BBC goes into a gagging like motion. Am I being a tease or does this mean it feels real good ?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your bird is regurgitating food for you! It means he loves you :heart:

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Thank you for the reply. Good to know. Not always sure about the love on his part !! :)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My GCC will also do this rapid head bob (different from the regurgitating head bob) when she is scratching in that hollow spot right under her lower beak. It appears to just be a reflex, like a dog kicking its leg when you scratch in the right spot.

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Thanks. Never had anything come up during the "gagging" but I do get a real faint kak kak (best written description I can think of) from time to time. Don't know if i am going to be allowed but I am going to try and get to that spot you found. Every once in awhile I can get some "wing pit" rubs. He (really a she) is pretty awnry after falling in love with my wife.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What you're describing is typical yawning. If you scratch them around the ears it triggers that yawning.

No harm at all.